Laptop Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninjamonkey

Baseband Member
Hello

I have a pretty decent gaming desktop, but i think that I want to buy a cheap laptop to use for email, websurfing, and playing games like starcraft (wireless net ability a must). Screen size dpes not matter, I'm prolly going to go with 15inch or smaller (whatever is the cheapest). Looks do not matter to me at all. My main concerns is reliability and price. I want to stay around 700 dollars. Do you think it would be best to get a dell or hp laptop or look for something used on ebay? Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

(edit) i will probably also be using this system to do a bit of programming in scheme. (nothing too graphically intensive)

Ok, I think i have decided to go with either hp or compaq. I'm going to try and stay around 500, 600 max. (new lower budget).

I have my eye on three laptops.

1. hp dv6000t (this one is pushin my budget)- price 599.99 w/o shipping

specs:
intel celeron m 420 (1.60ghz)
512ddr (2x256)
15.4 brightview widescreen
intel graphics accelerator 950 (celeron)
60gb harddrive 5400rpm

2. Compaq v6000z - 530 before shippin
Sempron 3400+ (1.80 ghz)
15.4 widescreen
videocard: nvidia go 6150
512ram (256x2)
40gig 5400rpm

3. either the compaq v6000t - 550 before shipping
which has pretty much the same specs as the HP only a smaller harddrive.

Ok. So also I would like to know which is a better notebook processor out of the sempron and the celeron m? Second, which would be a better graphics card, the intel 950 or go 6150, I know they both arent very good, but all the gaming i would do on this laptop would be old games. Third and finally, what is the difference between b/g wireless lan card and a a/b/g wireless lan card? is it worth the extra 10 dollars to get the a/b/g?

The sempron is faster and cooler as a proc and the 6150 is a decent amount better than the intel 950. Actually the geforce 6150 is the best integrated graphics with shared memory (no dedicated) available right now. I would definitely go with the Compaq, it's cheaper and will give you better performance.

ok thanks jorsoft

Also, from what i read the only difference between b/g and a/b/g is the maxium speed, 11Mbps for b/g and 54Mbps for a/b/g. So it seems to me that a/b/g isnt really needed, as over 11Mbps seems like overkill to me. Am i understanding this correctly?

B=11mbps (few people use this speed anymore as G hardware has mostly replaced B)
G=54mbps (most common speed)
A= 54mbps at a 5ghz frequency (so it doesn't interfere with telephones and other devices).
Not a whole lot of point in paying more to get the A standard as almost no one uses it. Everyone still uses G which is plenty fast at 54mbps and offers a better range than B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom