computer shots off i turn it back on and it wont boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuraiwarrior

In Runtime
!PLZ!!ELP! Dead mother board? or dead cpu?

hey pleassseeeeee help me

i was playing garry's mod late last night (like i do every other night)
and bam it killed out.
i rebooted my pc and theres no video signal, checked the post tester motherboard and its doesnt post past processor error which is all 4 red lights hang its a msi k8n neo4 platinum sli, suppose to be a good board but whn i got a replacment from them they send me a bent, missing pins, and broken sata connector mobo, but it still runs, also floppy connector missing pins so disabled that.

so the post lights hang at processor but there isnt any test before that anyways so is it posting? or just lighting up. the chipset fan doesnt come neither does the processor fan. Does that mean dead processor or the more likely dead motherboard? since the case fans run fully its not the psu and the cpu fan lights dimly light.

MAIN Question: Dead MOBO or Dead Processor?
thanks for anyhelp need to order the new part soon.
in need of help,
Sean

try any of these options :

~~!GROUND URSELF BEFORE TOUCHING ANYTHING!~~
-use a different Power Supply (since the the cpu fan light is dim)
-reseat ur video card and RAM (if that doesnt work use default mobo video)
-if u hav a manual reset the CMOS by pulling out the battery in the mobo for couple minutes, then use that manual to reconfigure the settings (if the PC boots up)
-reassemble everything from barebone (remember to ground urself before touching anything)
-check if there are any beeps when u power it up
-check if the capacitors ar poping up in the mobo(if so replace them or get a new mobo)
-check if the heatsink is properly seated
-boot with only the CPU(fan&heatsink), PS, RAM, monitor plugged in the rest leave it unplugged
-might be dead BIOS, flash it or use hotflashing or agent smith's in stickies. (Software)
-might be bad grounding try a different power cable
- if u OC ur PC put the setting to default
- u might of shorted the mobo or ESD happened

the power supply smelled kinda burny but its been running for a while so i guess thats fine, the motherboard i might replace but i dont wana replace it and then have to replace the psu too, i dont have any spares to swap but i might be able to call a friend to take it to his friends shop. i dont want this to make my gaming pc out of commision for long so i was hopeing if there was an easy way the tell if the motherboard is dead?, i tried resetting the bios but the chipset fan dosent even come on so its either psu or motherboard, isnt there a paper clip trick to test if the psu is good? i cant remeber which holes it inserts to. also if the motherboard was fried where could i check for the capacitors im not sure which ones they are.
thanks for the help i need to order the parts some time today, must get gaming pc running:(
Sean

if the top part (metal) is poping up or burst open that means u need to replace them or replace ur mobo

yea
i just ordered another motherboard because this one had some broken sata cinnector and no floppy sice the controller is busted too. msi replacements were all trash!
i bought me a new DFI lanparty board
but the sad thing is my msi k8n neo4 platinum SLI wasnt even old:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom