Core 2 Duo Overclocking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
so do you guys see a huge difference in performance or gaming or multi tasking after OCing it ?? in example from 2.1 E6400 to 2.8 or 3.2 it seems like you guys are hitting, do you guys see good gains ? ? just curious if I should OC, I mostly download and encode video, gonna start editing video later on, and as far as games, I don't play much but I do have CS source installed. will CS run faster and encoding go much faster ??

sorry if these are noob questins. but thank you!!

continu said:
so do you guys see a huge difference in performance or gaming or multi tasking after OCing it ?? in example from 2.1 E6400 to 2.8 or 3.2 it seems like you guys are hitting, do you guys see good gains ? ? just curious if I should OC, I mostly download and encode video, gonna start editing video later on, and as far as games, I don't play much but I do have CS source installed. will CS run faster and encoding go much faster ??

sorry if these are noob questins. but thank you!!

YES! F.E.A.R. @ max settings/res on widescreen monitor (-Soft Shadows and FSAA) = 80FPS, HL2:E1 @ full-blown settings = 100-120 FPS

E6400 @ 3.2 / RAM @ stock; 7900GT @ 660/1832

They look awesome!

^ Yeah at first I thought I was getting like 30FPS in FEAR at 1680x1050 with everything on max, but I realized that it just looked like it ... because FEAR is just a lame engine. Fraps says I'm getting ~85FPS. I have my 7900GT at 675/800

well ive got some bad news. When i put everything together it turns out a faulty PSU fried my motherboard and who knows what else. I guess i just got unlucky. Took it to a local computer shop owner and he examined it, and figured out it was a pad power supply. He tried replacing it and it still wouldn't run. He told me to send it all back to new egg, saying that there is no way to tell how much got damaged, unless i continually RMA each part that doesn't work. So now im gonna have to go through that process, and i don't know how long that will take.

well on the bright side you might be able to get your money back and re-buy a C2D for cheaper now that prices dropped slightly.

BTW what PSU did you have?

It was an antec smartpower, so i was pretty surprised. Hopefully everything goes through well. Am i gonna have to pay that 15% restocking fee?

Ok guys, I have to say the C2D is awesome!!!

As some of you might know, since I'm still fairly new here you probably don't, I do a lot of video encoding.

My results thus far: sorry no picture.

My P4 2.8 took about 2+hours to encode about 700mb size into an .ISO or dvd formatt etc. (video+sound) this is with PASS 1 only

My new E6400 at stock 2.1 took 35mins!!!! to encode video+sound!!! thats about 4x faster than my P4!!!!

I'm loving it!!! And plus this is something that I built...I feel good.

I'm very curious now how fast it would be if I OC it to 3.2 ^_^ maybe 35min can go to about 25min ? wishful thinking yea?

I'll keep you guys informed!!!!

spartan1121 said:
It was an antec smartpower, so i was pretty surprised. Hopefully everything goes through well. Am i gonna have to pay that 15% restocking fee?

That really sucks man. To be honest i'm shocked that an antec would break so soon. Are you sure it put out enough power for the system? Antec True Power PSU's are better if you can get your money back.

But yeah that really sucks man.

I can't say for sure if you'll have to pay the restocking fee but i personally don't think you should have to. It's kinda messed up if you have to since it's not really your fault it went bad. My advice is to tell them that you're going elsewhere if you have to pay restocking fees that aren't your fault to begin with.

+++++++++++++++++++++

that's great continu. my superpi times with and without a 3.2ghz OC are roughly this if it helps:

3.2Ghz OC: 19 sec
2.13 Stock: 26-28 sec (offhand)

anyways i'm showing you this because that the top performance the processor can do. I'm guessing your encoding results will be similiar to that ratio. good luck.

spartan1121 said:

Was it within 30 days? You should be able to get a full refund for everything.

RockyZ said:
Was it within 30 days? You should be able to get a full refund for everything.
oh well thats sweet, it hasn't even been a week yet. We were worried because it said something about DOA processors costing a 15% resotcking fee for RMA's. Ill get on the phone with Newegg tonight and see. And to jordo, it was a 500w PSU, i have no doubt it put out enough power, it just started smoking the first time we turned it on. Upon further inspection a technician saw that it was all burned up. Oh and the technician said to stay away form SATA hard drives over 250gb, saying that they die in like 6 months. Anyone had any trouble with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom