Core 2 Duo Overclocking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am proud to say my build is done and running!!! I had the computer actuall done a day early but I didn't have a OS to install...I picked up Windows XP Pro SP2 today and finally installed it!!!! What a difference from my 9 year old HP computer P3 LOL...so much faster so much cleaner!!! I've already started DLing some videos and will start encoding later today...lets see how much faster my encoding will be compared to my P4 labtop...also I can burn dvd at 16x speed lol compared to my 2x speed!!! so excited.

I'll be OCing maybe in a week after I "break-in" my computer, but I'm still debating if I even should. from a P3 to C2D, I'm pretty much content with it, its like day and night!!

If I do OC, can i reach 3.0Ghz easy ?? I have Zalman 9500 HSF on it already, E6400...with the Zalman can I go higher with no problem ?? thanks!

Ran into some problems with what i think is the power supply(it smelled like ozone and made a little smoke when we tried to boot for the first time)If you wanna help i posted a thread in the harware trouble shooting forum. Thread is entitled computer wont boot.

idiotec said:
Nice :D

What G Skills do you have? Will they do 4-4-4-12 at 400Mhz?

Idiotec, Take one for the team and sell your current ram and get the HZ's!!!!

C'mon!! You know you want to! :D

Lord AnthraX said:
Idiotec, Take one for the team and sell your current ram and get the HZ's!!!!

C'mon!! You know you want to! :D
LOL, I might ;) These sticks I have now are definitely the weak link in my system.

i just don't wanna put my vcore up too high before i get my HSF in the mail.
Well lowering the timings won't put any more stress on your CPU :p

continu said:
If I do OC, can i reach 3.0Ghz easy ?? I have Zalman 9500 HSF on it already, E6400...with the Zalman can I go higher with no problem ?? thanks!
I'm at 3.2Ghz easily w/ the stock HSF so...yeah you should be able to hit 3Ghz pretty easily.

Also what ram do you have? because if you have good ram you can get up to 3.6 or so on air cooling.

idiotec said:
Well lowering the timings won't put any more stress on your CPU :p
I know but my system is already slighly unstable.

DANGIT!! my room is so freaking hot right now! i've got my desktop, laptop and a minifridge all in a roughly 10x12 foot room.

^i'm sure that doesn't help my temps and that's the main reason why i don't wanna raise the vcore yet. i've noticed i was idleing at 39C last night and this morning i'm at 43C. I'm probably gonna take out my minifridge. It's not realy being used anyways.^

been hearing some really awkward temperature readings from the core 2 duos. I was wondering what your idle temps are, this is mine:
tempsz.jpg

I'm using the same thermal paste that was already applied onto the heatsink, I'm gonna get some AS5 in a few days, should I take the heatsink off and reapply a new layer of AS5?

And for 775 coolers, do I need to take the motherboard out in order to take the HSF off, cuz that would be too much of an hassle(the holes on my Lian Li case doesn't match the motherboard exactly)

this very second i'm sitting at 43C System and 41C CPU (running 2.8Ghz on an E6400)

NOTE: i don't have my case fans hooked up to my mobo so they're not running as they should be yet. I'm fixing that next week and my temps should go down.

I don't know why your temps would be lower than mine EXPECIALLY with a lower multliplier and more voltage. Hmm...could be cuz my case fan is running at 1500rpm compared to 1800 for you

@ 2.4Ghz idle 26c, load 32c
@ 3.0Ghz idle 30c, load 35c
@ 3.4Ghz idle 34c, load 42c
@ 3.6Ghz idle 40c, load 52c :mad:

jordo_99 said:
this very second i'm sitting at 43C System and 41C CPU (running 2.8Ghz on an E6400)

NOTE: i don't have my case fans hooked up to my mobo so they're not running as they should be yet. I'm fixing that next week and my temps should go down.

I don't know why your temps would be lower than mine EXPECIALLY with a lower multliplier and more voltage. Hmm...could be cuz my case fan is running at 1500rpm compared to 1800 for you

My CPU is at stock voltage, I don't see how your voltage could be any lower.

I have a high quality case and plenty of airflow.

are you using a stock HSF?

my case is a full tower that has a 250mm side-intake fan (bigest i've ever heard of) and a 120mm exhaust and a 120mm front intake.

i'm pretty sure my fans aren't running fullspeed though so that could be the problem.

and the stock vcore could be part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom