32 bit or 64 bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

welsh

In Runtime
hey, how can i find out if i can support a 64bit operating system as compared to the standard 32bit os?

If you are running a 64-bit processor, you can run a 64-bit operating system.

The question is, Why would you want to? Windows64 ain't that great (still lacking drivers for some stuff)? Some Linux comes in 64-bit flavors, and they work good. But why bother with 64-bit?

is a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ a 64-bit processor? i was just downloading windows vista to try it out. Ive got a spare 40gig harddrive im gonna stick vista on, i know the 32-bit will work on the 64-bit processor. I just wanted to know what version to get. Cause 64-bit or not vista will still lack drivers.

im pretty sure the Athlon 64 is 64 bit. i've got a 3000+ and its 64, so yours should be too.

also, ive got RC1 installed on my Prescott.... Vista looks pretty nice I must say. Stable too... no BSDs yet!

The 64 bit download of vista is 3.6 gb while 32 bit is 2.something... just in case u want it faster :)

as a side note... im so ****ed off that intel's GMA 900 wont support aero, wtf! i just bought a laptop not too long ago and its not vista premium ready even though it has all the specs. LAME

welsh said:
is a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ a 64-bit processor?

your questions should have answered your own question.... let me show you how if u don't get it.... AMD 64 x2 3800+ :)

The 64-bit version is sorely lacking drivers. You've been warned.

Athlon64 and FX series came with 64-bit support, other way to check this out is to use the CPU-Z ( www.cpuid.com ), and it will tell you in instructions weather your processor supports or not.

if you are that keen to use the 64-bit O/S, then use Vista, and not the XP. also, your current 32-bit software applications will run slower on 64-bit O/S as if compared to running on 32-bit O/S.

choice remains with you.

yea, i thought the 64 meant 64bit but i wasnt to sure. i just downloaded the 32bit version anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom