Moving CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmitchell73

In Runtime
So in an attempt to upgrade my current PC, I bought a new motherboard that will work with all the same parts of my own (p4 2.8ghz, DDR400 PC3200 SDRAM, micro ATX form factor...) but the new motherboard will have a PCI-express x16 slot
:D

I know how to replace the motherboard and all, but Im really worried about moving the CPU to the new mobo, it looks pretty easy in all the guides I've seen. Also, should I be replacing the thermal pad or paste that came with it? or should I just move the whole thing, heatsink/fan and all. I bought an anti-static wristband to help out with my worries of it getting screwed up, and I have the brand new Windows Vista RC1 to install after I get it up and going.

You will have to remove the Heatsink/Fan in order to remove the CPU (at least for all the configs that I have worked with).

Make sure that you completely clean the the CPU and the base of the HSF with a xylene-based cleaner or Isopropyl alcohol. Do not use WD40 or any "citrus scented" cleaners. Goof-Off (tm) works awesome!

I would recommend against a pad, and go with thermal paste. Arctic Silver 5 (tm) is a tried and true material.

Make sure that you use proper anti-static measures. Or at the very least ground yourself against the case prior to making contact with any IC boards or components.

Take your time, have some relaxing music playing and enjoy!

P.S. Post some feedback on the Vista RC1

Thanks, I'll get some arctic silver. So cleaning the top of the cpu, and the hsf with isopropyl alcohol wont mess it up? I would think puting any liquid on top of the cpu would be bad, but I'm probably wrong.

I wouldn't think you necessarily have to put it on the actual component, but on the cloth you'd be using to clean it.

In a very slight amount.

I have 2 amd athlon 64 3500+ and i moved them into a newer mobo with pci express sli and didn't put new paste on or remove the old paste and they work great.
I am having no troubles at all.

Norcent said:
I have 2 amd athlon 64 3500+ and i moved them into a newer mobo with pci express sli and didn't put new paste on or remove the old paste and they work great.
I am having no troubles at all.

You sir, are extremely fortunate. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom