Burning smell.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masta_Gomes

Baseband Member
I'm worried, for about 2-3 days noow I've noticed a burning smell in my room, seems something is going wrong with the PC. I suspect the PSU, even though it wasn't bought too long ago, and it's a Smartpower 2.0 so I'm a bit confused but stuff happens.

I did buy a new graphics card about a month or so ago, could it be that?

Though I must say if i feel the back of the PSU where the fan is, the smell seems strongest there! What should I do?!

I ran into the same scinerio Enermax PS was emitting a smell.
Not long after, it went down .I inspected the board and found a flashy diode burnt , replaced it and works fine now but the smell is still saturated into the unit .:confused:

PSU has 3 years warranty, so should i go to where i bought and send it off....?

P.S. 3-4 weeks to get it back, that's a long time without a computer, and i don't want to use my old power supply, which restarted my computer playing games on my 9600XT, and now that i have a 6800XT.........shouldn't risk connecting it....

i no its $ but its good to have a decent backup , i wouldnt waist time RMA before any damage occurs

Strange this morning i've used it for about 10 minutes and no smell, though i touched he back of th PSU this morning and it's kind of warmish.......

My backup PSU is my old one that has a 500W sticker but only has 20A on the 12 volt rail and considering i have a 6800XT GPU.......but i can i can put it in and just not play games i guess?

With it not smelling this morning even though it's not 10 minute use, what can i deduce from that?

By the way it's not exactly a new PSU, i've had it for about 2-3 months now.

Well I went straight to the source to check it out, and ifI go right next to the back PSU fan, the smell is still there, maybe a bit of use and it comes back........so do you think chucking in my old PSU even though i got a power supply will be ok? considering my old one restarted my computer when i palyed games.......?

Is it normal after a whole night of the computer being off the PSU being slightly warm? eminating some sort of slight heat?

well back in went the generic Ritmo PSU. Now to see how that turns out.

It's probably just as much a liability!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom