Is it a bad idea to run ide and sata drives in the same system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
My instructor advises against it, but he didn't say why. I've never heard of this before. Maybe it's just his personal opinion for whatever reason?

It's not a bad idea...I bet alot of people on TF do it. But then I see most people with SATA drives, because it's the latest. But I don't see a problem with having both IDE and SATA.

there is no reason not to as far as i know. the closest warning i can recall to this one is that you shouldn't put a cd-rom on the same IDE cable as a HDD, that is true because of it's parallel nature that decreases bandwidth available to the HDD. however, seeing as the IDE drives and SATA drives are attached to completely different interfaces there is no conceivable hardware issue. there could be a software issue i don't know of. my guess is your instructor is an old school techie who has having trouble adapting to the new standards introduced.

I (had) a 200GB SATA drive that I used as my boot drive, and a backup 80GB IDE drive that I used for backing up files, and for storage.

EDIT: (forgot the point to that story) I had no problems at all while running both drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom