Gateway FX510XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeopoldStotch

Solid State Member
I just had an amazing conversation with Gateway Tech support. I recently purchased an FX510XT and am in the process of modding it. If anyone can answer this question then they ought to be answering the phone at Gateway. If you are familiar with the Gateway 7-Bay BTX case, you will have noticed that below the front assembly for the 120mm case fan is a space for a case fan. It is either a 90mm or a 92mm case fan - it is hard to tell. There is about 30mm distance between this space for a case fan and the HDD's. I've already added a Raptor drive to the two stock Seagate 500GB HDD's. I thought it would be simple. Just chat with a Gateway tech and ask two questions: (1) What size fan fits into this space? (It is either a 90mm or a 92 mm case fan), and (2) do the Lavacot motherboard 4pin fan connectors suport variable speed fans? Can anyone answer these questions? Gateway cannot.

well those idots are only trained to answer quetions like: Why cant I get onto my computer, and my internet doesnt work.

Well I would go out on a limb and say it is a 90mm, or have you considered it being a 80mm. Becuase a lot of those cases have regular old 80mm's. just measre it with a ruler and see if it is cloers to 90, or 80.

take a ruler and measure it?

fan dimensions specify the outter dimensions of the fan usually.

not an 80mm

I have an 80mm fan "rigged" inside the case. I have measured it, but the difference between a 90mm and a 92mm is too hard to tell. I think standard case fans in this range are 92mm, but with companies that want to make things difficult to rearrange on their proprieary technology who knows. I may just have to grab a piece of paper, punch holes in it for a template and take that to my local "hardware store"and see what lines up. Eh, I will figure something out. I know I can make a 120 mm fan work with a dremel tool, just don't want to go to that much effort.

probably easier to use the side of a crayon on that piece of paper rather than punch holes

if the 2mm is indistinguishable then I am sure bolting it in wouldnt be too much of a problem - a little rigging and forcing will get it into place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom