I suck, can't get my heat sink on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey mate I had the same problem as you, I managed to get the HS attactched properly in the end though, you just have to use a LOT of force to get all 4 pins to click through the mobo

PunkPino said:
ya, you won't break ur mobo, trust me
it IS scary if it's ur first time tho

Yeah it's scary. The mobo is bending and I'm hearing wierd noises....I'd just be sooooo ****ed if I broke my mobo. ****ed beyond belief.

Also my thumb (which I need to push the god **** clips down) got cut on one of the fins and is now infected. Lol, doesn't help.

Pull the little U shaped arm out, open the flap, place the CPU on, close the flap (takes a slight amount of force) and latch the arm back in.

The stock heatsink has little buttons you push that just push into holes on the motherboard and lock in like a fish hook. They are pretty cheesy.

The General said:
Pull the little U shaped arm out, open the flap, place the CPU on, close the flap (takes a slight amount of force) and latch the arm back in.

Yeah dude the cpu has been in.

The General said:
The stock heatsink has little buttons you push that just push into holes on the motherboard and lock in like a fish hook. They are pretty cheesy.

Yeah dude my scythe infinity mounts the same way. It just takes some serious pressure and I'm scared of breaking the mobo.

So is the general concensus "push harder, it won't break"?

My god, I finally figured it out.

If the clips are twisted in one direction, they lock. If they are twisted in the other direction, they'll clip in but pull out with ease.

The reason I had to apply so much force is because one of the clips is broken and won't clip down when it gets pressed in...so now I'm working on getting that ****ing clip to work.

Whoever was saying how cheap these mechanizms are couldn't be more right. $55 for a scythe infinity and the clips are cheap and crappy as ****. ugh. If they spend an extra $2 manufacturing the **** things and past the cost on to the consumer it would be so much easier to deal with, although I'm not helped by the fact that my northbridge cooler gets the **** in my way.

bbetter would have been, if you had placed Heatsink before installing motherboard in the Tray, as i always place hard components that require force first, so that it wont risk damage the PCB. best is to place motherbaord on the thin foam that comes with it over a hard surface. it wont bring any tension in the PCB.

BAD thing now in yur situation is, as you might have tried 4-5 times doig this, probability is, that you have disturbed the thermal compound by now. so bring some more, and clean heatsink and when you feel you are absolutely ready, then place heatsink over the CPU, as best is once you have placed the heatsink over CPU, avoid picking it up again, as some of the thermnal compound sticks with cpu. and non-smooth surface will result in air trapped/escaping b/w the surfaces of cpu and heatsink, resulting in poor heat dissapation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom