windowsxp not booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

simple

In Runtime
i have winxp and linux on my system and i recently had a lot of hardware problems .i canged my bios chip and then changed my ram. but now mylinux is booting perfectly but xp does not. xp booted after changing the bios but not after i changed my ram. any help would be appreciated!! c ya!!!
(by the way my ram is 512mb ddr; the previous one was also thesame!!)

yeah repair works perfect .. do u get any error message like some files are missing press r and repair sorta message on a black screen..

for that jus boot ur computer thru winxo CD and try repairing it ..

but to tell u, i guess it will overwrite boot sector and u wont be able to run linux, until u install some booter like grub,lilo ..

above condition holds true only of u have installed linux and xp on ssame drives.. :)

Good luck :)

simple said:
i have winxp and linux on my system and i recently had a lot of hardware problems .i canged my bios chip and then changed my ram. but now mylinux is booting perfectly but xp does not. xp booted after changing the bios but not after i changed my ram. any help would be appreciated!! c ya!!!
(by the way my ram is 512mb ddr; the previous one was also thesame!!)

Did you have two HDDs?
One for Linux and the other for MS WinXP.

You should not try to install both of them in the same HDD even though you have partitioned the HDD.

real_in said:
@kwokwai .. wasnt that confusing what u said :D
Past experience told me that if I tried to install MS windows and Red hat Linux together in the same HDD (already partitoned), Linux became non-bootable then.
It seemed to me that MS WinXP had eaten up my Linux.
Maybe I had got some serious mistakes during the installation, but I never tried another dual-OS installation afterwards.

I just can't act bravely to have another experiment!

yes i cant reinstall win xp coz it will erase my mbr and prevent me from booting linux!!. and by the way kwokwai
I just can't act bravely to have another experiment!
you dont need two hdds for two os's. thats where logical partitions help you!!!
so i cant reinstall xp, i cant even get into its command prompt or safe mode!! so what shud i do?? by the way thanks for replying all of u!! c ya!

I recommend u to reinstall XP and then reload the grub boot loader, you can google it for dual operating system as zp and linux, u will get lotsa working results.. :)

good luck..

i have done it and it worked for me.. :)

Insert your Windows XP disk, boot into the disk. Go into the recovery console, use FIXMBR and FIXBOOT, see if that works.

but problem is not the MBR or anything.. it is regarding corrupted WINXP installation, which he first have to fix by running a repair Wizard and then later on fix it thru any boot loader..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom