CHKDSK stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

glassduck

Beta member
Hi, I ran a chkdsk from windows and then restarted my computer. It has gotten to stage for at 63% and stayed there for a few hours now. I have turned it off, tried again and few times with the same results. I even broke out the cd and did the windows repair thing and it restarted and did it again and that is where it is now, at 63% for the last 3 hours again. This is a new computer, only 6 months old. Dell Dimension 9150 Pentium dual core so I can not see how it would be bad or anything. I was not really having problems, just was told in a computer class that I should be doing that once a month, so did it today. Please advise what I should do. Thanks so much.

Sound like you might have a physical problem with your Hard Drive.

I would recommend you find out the manufacture of the hard drive on your system. (Find out your model # and log on to Dell's site and check the specs of your system).

Another way to find the model of your Hard Drive would be to go into the Control Panel-System-Click on the Hardware Tab-then Click on Device Manager. Expand where it says "Disk Drives" and it will tell you the make of your Hard Disk (Usually Maxtor,Western Digital etc.)

You can go on the manufacture's site for example Maxtor.com and dowload a program that creates a bootable diskette to test the drive. Reboot and make sure that you choose to boot from the floppy in your BIOS settings and run the Full Test.

If it fails I would contact Dell Tech support and if your PC is only 6 months old they will most likely send you a new drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom