Best raid setup to go with

Status
Not open for further replies.
spartan1121 said:
I fail to even see the purpose in raid, is is just for security?
RIAD 0 utilizes 2 exact drives if they are identical, and thye say increase performance slightly over one big drive.

RAID 1 is yes, just a security and back-up precation. Used a lot on servers and such with very important data. Or for the cosumer so when there hard drive dies they still have there music collection :D

ingeborgdot said:
So in other words I would have to reinstall all my programs.

You won't need to if you make a clone of you current disc and move it to a back up. (Program like Norton Ghost)

If you don't back up or clone you current drive, you'll need to redo everything including windows.

I think I have decided to just go with 2 hdd on a seperate array. No raid in other words. I would like to change my one hard drive setup though.
I have it partitioned into 3 parts.
Os and apps on one
Docs and videos and pics on another
Backup image or file on third(nothing on there yet though)
I was talking to someone that said he would put his os on a big drive and make sure it never got close to filling up on the os side. Right now of the 31gb on partition 1 I only have 9 left. I want to take partition 2 and 3 and move all that stuff to hdd #2 and leave the os hdd alone in possible 2 partitions or even just one big one. How can I use partitiion magic to do this. Taking partition 2 and 3 and putting them into partition one? I am confused about this.

spartan1121 said:
I fail to even see the purpose in raid, is is just for security?

Nope splits the data for raid 0.

7200 RPM drives in RAID 0 are almost or just as fast a 10K raptor.

I have 150 Raptors in RAID 0 and its obviously much faster then a single raptor.

:)

whats the pont of having mosre rpm's on a hard rive? does it just save things faster? because raptors are incedibally exenicve compared to drives of similar capacity. Later on i may add a hard drive if i run out of space, but i would justuse one for media, and one for basic files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom