HELP!!! Can't run QuickTime on new Windows XP machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

limelite

Solid State Member
Please help! I have a new Compaq running Windows XP SP1 and it seems like it freezes up a lot. Anyway, it sure is freezing every single time I try to install or run QuickTime 6.5. During installation it will freeze when "updating system registry." Upon a forced reboot (via a power cut) QuickTime is installed but if I try to click on it and open it it the computer freezes. If I try to reinstall the computer freezes again at the same "updating system registry" step. If I go to the control panel and try to adjust QuickTime settings it freezes upon trying to open it. Does anyone have a clue what I can do to fix this frustrating problem?

I'm trying to run a demo of Adobe Premiere on my machine as well and it freezes upon startup too. Adobe's site (not very customer service trouble-shooting oriented) did mention that you should have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your machine as otherwise it may freeze upon startup. So I'm hoping my only problem is QuickTime and that there is some solution. Thanks!

Details:
I'm using a Compaq S6300NX, AMD Athalon XP 2800+, 1GB Memory, ATI Radeon 9600 (AGP), Echo Darla (PCI), Echo Layla (PCI), Pioneer 8x DVD burner (+/-), Sony 52X CD burner

-Limelite

limelite,

I have had that same problem using HP/Compaq computers. I feel it has something to do with the software they have installed in the computer system which may cause config problems. I use to have my old compaq lock up all the time and what i would do if i was in your shoes is to contact Compaq and exlain the problem to them.
If it can not be fixed by you i would send it into compaq saying computer is locking up and compaq will supply you with box to pack it in and issue a call tag for you to send back.
They will send back fixed and if it happends again send it back to compaq.
If that computer system gets sent back to compaq 3 times and never gets fixed COMPAQ will replace that computer system with a NICE upgraded computer.

I had pretty much the same problem you are having but my problem was with my Compaq AMD 1600+ notebook which when i add another 256mb stick of ram it will lock up all the time.
I sent into compaq 3 times and never was fixed so the sent me a brand new P4 2.5 notebook upgrade which i sold for 1200.00 and started building my new pc you see below

I would contact compaq

Later

Problem fixed

Just wanted to let you know I solved the problem. I had to disable the onboard and secondary PCI sound cards leaving only my primary PCI sound card enabled (yes, I have three). I didn't even think to check it since none of my other applications (including multimedia ones) were effected... but obviously Adobe Premiere and QuickTime were. So, hopefully this will help someone else with the same problem someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom