Win Taskbar & Start-button stop responding after connected to the i-net

Status
Not open for further replies.

necrophyte

Baseband Member
i've had this problem for quite a time, but i thought that maybe my 512MB RAM were the problem, so i doubled them, and still, it happens almost every time i boot up and connect to the internet.

i have a 4MBit xDSL (some kind of DSL with additional features) connection, a router and 4 pcs/notebooks on it, so everyone is connected to LAN as soon as the computer boots up. then we have to connect to the internet - VPN connection - IP: 10.0.0.138, show icon in notification area when connected, security: advanced - optional encryption on, unencrypted password (PAP), challenge handshake authentication protocol (CHAP) checked, type of VPN: automatic, IP, DNS automaticly obtained, firewalled, location: WAN miniport (PPTP) ------ every setting set by reading the instructions of my provider.

so every now and then when i double-click on that icon on my desktop, the info-bubble (###... is now connected) stucks a bit, or doesn't appear at all, and the whole taskbar and start menu stop responding. even when i close that bubble by clicking the 'X', it often appears as if it is being closed (the 'X' gets "pressed"), but it doesn't disappear. the desktop still responds and i can mark icons and refresh the desktop, but as soon as i double-click something (so it should appear in the taskbar, too, since its an application), nothing happens. CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't work either. neither works the start menu.

then there are 2 possibilities: mostly after some 1-10 minutes of nothing (absolutely no work being done by the processor, as if there were no tasks at all and no demanding processes) suddenly everything appears, from the start menu, if i clicked on it, over any application i started, to the task manager (if i pressed CRTL-ALT-DEL), and that IMMEDIATELY (no wonder, with 1GB RAM), and, of course, the bubble in the notification area that i am connected to the internet disappears, too.
the second one happens quite rarely, and i'm not quite sure that it really isn't same as the first one, i just can't wait watching my notebook doing nothing and still not responding - i have to shut it down completely (by holding the power-on button).

this can be so annoying sometimes, when i have to look in the internet for something quickly, or check my mail, and then i sit in front of it and wait....

i have no idea what's the reason for it - maybe svchost? but there are so many svchost threads (i looked at them with the norton process viewer - have NSW2005 and this is certainly NOT the reason, i do not experience any significant lack of performance by using NSW and NAV, as many others do), so i cannot really recognize which is responsible for my connecting-to-the-internet-process.

i thought this was only the case with my HP business notebook (pentium m 1,7GHz, 1GB RAM), but my brother told me recently that he's experiencing the same with his new intel 2x3GHz Dual Core, 2 GB RAM, ATI X1900 etc. gaming-monster which was set up some 2 weeks ago...

and we're both 100% sure of being virus- and ad-/spywarefree, we use ccleaner and NSW OBC almost daily and despite that problem we don't experience any problems with performance at all (neither those cases of the taskbar and start menu not responding)

as i said, it doesn't happen every time i connect to the internet, but very often..
what could that be? somebody else experiencing the same? any solution?

thx

any idea?

does really nobody have an idea how to slove that? i'm really annoyed by that almost every time i boot and it takes so much time... it's really important! thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom