harddrive/motherboard problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

t20t

Beta member
Fixing a friends pc. I tried getting all the hardware info written down to write here so sorry if I forget something or get some of it mixed up.

K7UM4 BIOS P1.70
AMD Athlon XP, 1150 MHz
with 256 RAM and
the harddrive is a Maxtor 32049H2.

Alright, I got my hands on this pc about two months ago, I am pretty good at fixing them even though I struggle with some of the tech. words but I can do it and understand with being hands-on and watching. A few months ago I installed XP Pro on this computer and it worked fine and I activated it over the phone and it was all set so I gave it back. Now I have it back two months later and I am struggling with fixing it.

When I got it, it wouldn't start at all in normal mode, it went to choosing between safe modes and those options. And when I did that safe mode quit, I got an error for the mup.sys. Decided to do a fresh install because recovery wasn't working. So I go to install the cd this time, still xp pro, and it lets me partition the harddrive before installing right, ya then I got an error and it wouldn't install and said to restart the pc I did and I keep on getting the error that NTLDR is missing and restart, so I made a bootdisk for xp pro and put that in there and it told me to write down the harddrive letters and such and I did then it said to take the i386 file from the cd and copying it onto the harddrive and then install the OS, only problem is I can't really do that with the harddrive wiped clean, I don't know how to do that actually so I put the cd in again and took the floppy out and went into bios and made it so it booted from cd first then restarted and now it tries reading it but I get "file acpiec.sys caused an unexpected error 8192 at line 5964 in d:\xpsprtm/base/boot/setup/setup.c." .....I have no clue what this means but researching it its something about the motherboard I think. So I am asking for help on what to do now. I can't get an os to load and i dont' know where to find the drivers online to try to boot this thing. I just would like to get it running for my friend soon since her siblings started school and need the pc for homework. I put this in this forum because I think its the harddrive and motherboard doing this now and not just the os software.

You have a driver problem, unfortunalty I can't tell you how to fix it for sure.

Update the BIOS and try again

If that doesn't work then I would get a Windows 98 cd, format it as FAT32 then scandisk the HDD. It shouldn't be hardware problem though.

If that doesn't work, I would Install a different OS, (windows 98 or 2000) to see if they work, then install XP by using the UPGRADE option instead of NEW INSTALL

can you help me by telling me how to update the BIOS? I am not sure how to do that :(

I found a site that lets me do BIOS updates for what I have and I didn't know what version to pick so I just picked the one above mine though I could go higher I didn't know if I could, but I put it on a floppy but the computer isn't seeming to read floppys, so now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom