Socket A Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
[long story]
as usual i've been messing around with a lot of pc hardware :D. the other day i stumbled across a Duron 800 based machine with an mATX motherboard, on the side of the road :D. i'm now happily using this as a small media pc for my room to stream the several hundred gigabytes of video from my main pc. i have plans for the motherboard, i've managed to pickup a darn nice case for next to nothing and i would like to throw in an Athlon XP ~2000+ perhaps as much as a 2600+ so that i can view and encode HDTV.
[/long story]

[short story]
does anyone know if their are any particular chipset/bios requirements to use any Athlon XP models? i.e. will the chipset have to support it or will the fact that it is Socket A do the trick? i can't tell you the exact motherboard model but i know it is manufactured by IBM and from there NetVista series. it uses SD-RAM rather than DDR.
[/short story]

Thanks in advance,
Nitestick :D

hmm, i dont think so it will support AthlonXP series, may be only limited to Thunderbird core on AMD's. so you are limited to 66-100MHz FSB only.

XP series came with DDR RAM's. So I am definately sure it wont be accepting palomino cores, as I am pretty sure the chipset would might be of AMD itself.

though, best is, go to www.cpuid.com and download a free software (CPU-Z), it will tell you what Chipset you've got. and rest, sarch for the answers, or write chipset information here, and you'll surely be helped out :)

well thanks again. i did know the memory platform was different however i didn't think that would actually be a barrier in itself given that the memory support is provided by the Northbridge

edit: oh and i will try CPU-Z. i can't believe i didn't see that route before. i have tried googling but i couldn't find an answer as i didn't know where to start

CPU-Z and/or Everest, followed by a detailed Google search, should yield your answers, padawan.

Thunderbird is quiet good enough, even stong enough to hold any good application. provide it with a good cooler (prefebely made for the XP's), and a strong server is to serve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom