I suck, can't get my heat sink on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcohol

Baseband Member
This is my first time building a computer myself. I'm trying to mount a scythe infinity to an asus p5wdh. The mobo is mounted to my case's removable tray.

It's socket 775 obviously, so I lign up the holes and try to push the clip/pin thingys through and they don't want to go without waaay too much force. I'm scared of breaking my mobo if I push any harder...and the holes are definitely ligned up. At best, I get one clip in all the way, then try to get the clip at the opposite corner in and the first clip just pops right out, or as I was saying before I get scared to push any harder.

You guys got any tips or anything? This has been a real PITA for me. I got a nice *** c2d system sitting in my living room right now......in pieces. :mad:

alexsabree said:
lol...
First of all how does it connect.. can u give us a picture

Btw: almost all heatsinks/fans are a B***** to put on and off

PrimeCooler_Mega-7_3rd.jpg

I don't have a digi cam but my heatsink uses the same mounting mechanism. it makes it 2x as hard though because the scythe infinity is huge. i cut my thumb on hte **** thing too.

btw, i tried it with the heatsink that came with my 6600, and i couldn't get that on either (tried once), hence, i suck

seat the rods 1st then press the pins to lock . Take some measurements mayby your using the wrong fasteners.
I havent worked with the LGA yet sorry not much help

Yeah all these mounting systems suck, they've always sucked. You could build a better mounting system for 10 cents more, but they don't, because warrenties don't cover physical damage, so its a way for them to make money.

Are you sure your not suppose to have a backing plate with that heatsink?

Cappy said:
seat the rods 1st then press the pins to lock . Take some measurements mayby your using the wrong fasteners.
I havent worked with the LGA yet sorry not much help

I used the correct fasteners. **** they are the only ones that came with that heatsink that could possible be used on my mobo and it clearly shows them in the instructions.

I carefully placed the heatsink down, making sure all the pins were seated in the holes. As soon as I press down on one, I can usually get that one to clip into place, but it lifts all the other fasteners out of the holes. Seriously it just takes too much pressure to get everything clipped into place, I really don't want to try a little bit too hard and damage my $260 mobo.

Sui said:
Are you sure your not suppose to have a backing plate with that heatsink?

Yeah I'm sure.

check the manufacture site and make sure you have all the pieces may have been a return minus some fasteners.Most heavy Heatsinks require removing the board to install a support base that the HS mounts to wich would explain your clearance problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom