Best raid setup to go with

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
I have a 250 sata and just got a matching one. I have had just one for over a year now but think maybe I would like to do an raid setup. Is it possible now? If so, what is the best raid setup?

If you want increased performance you can go RAID 0, or if you want increased security go RAID 1.

b1gapl said:
If you want increased performance you can go RAID 0, or if you want increased security go RAID 1.

I fail to see the point in this as when one drive fails in RAID 1 so does the other, just like if you have a single drive.

Am I missing somthing....

:confused:

Lord AnthraX said:
I fail to see the point in this as when one drive fails in RAID 1 so does the other, just like if you have a single drive.

If one drive fails, you just replace it. It just copies the same data to both discs.

Lord AnthraX said:

I think you are talking of raid 0, raid 1 will only primarily run on one drive, it just copies all loaded info to the other drive for future security.

lancec2c30 said:
I think you are talking of raid 0, raid 1 will only primarily run on one drive, it just copies all loaded info to the other drive for future security.

Ah yes your right. Thanks for the heads up :)

ingeborgdot said:
But when does raid have to be installed? Can I do it now?

You would have to backup all of your data, then create the array by enabling it through CMOS then using the onboard controller to add both drives to the array you would then install the RAID Driver at XP Setup screen reformat and install.
Refer to Your manual for precision in instructions.
(You can use Nlite to intergrate the driver into the OS)

If you can easily have data back ups IMO go R0.
Example:I have all data Backed up onto DVD's and an external drive.
(But I don't have money for another Drive to RAID.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom