brown stuff in the water

Status
Not open for further replies.

jseber1982

Enterprise SCCM\SCOM
lol.

I am using the blue thermalchill.. and some UV due from dangerden. lol on the UV dye it says it is made to go in a car radiator as a leek detectant.

I will submit a pic later of the brown crap.

Up in my resevoir on the bottom of it, there is some brown stuff in the bottom. At first i thought it looked like grit, but it is actually kinda snotty when i saw it flickering in the water lol.

Any idea what this is? Or is this algae. i have had this system for about 2 months now

could be algae but algae is green and slimy not snotty i just say clean your lines and your resevoir out and replace with distiled water and a different UV additive

you think distilled water works better than the non conductive stuff? I still like the idea of it being non conductive lol

It can happen in most coolants. Most of the time algea is brown in water cooling loops. You either had the water exposed to sunlight (is it near a window or getting some sort of light?) and/or the pH level is off. I would always recommend using a few drops of algeacide from the local pet store. A few drops isn't enough to change the thermal capacity of the coolant, yet it can change the pH level really quick to somethign algea can't survive in. Although once you have algea I would recommend taking the loop apart and cleaning it out. I've found that bleach does a really good job at removing stubborn algea in hard to reach places. After the bleach clean everything and rinse with distilled water and put back together with new tubing (I always recommend new tubing when cleaning the loop since it's so affordable for clearflex and mastkleer).

if the fluid you are using is non-conductive... forget this suggestion.

i know hydroponics systems benifit from adding hydrogen peroxide to the nutrient mix. It helps ward off bacteria. If you add a cap full or two to your mix, it should stop/slow bacteria growth.

as a hydro enthusiest myself, you can get all different colors of bacteria groth, and trust me, none of them are good!

yea i am using non conductive lol, definitly want to keep it that way. This machine sits in a dark basement that never sees sunlight lol

there could be mold and stuff in your basement encouraging the growth... my best advice would be to take out the whole thing and pump alcohol through it. then pump distilled water through it a few times (fill, pump, empty, repeat). that'll take care of any infestations.

cool i will give it a shot.. when i built it, i was in a hurry. Was an idiot and didnt put a drain in the bottom. Any advice on flushing the system and not making a big friggin mess?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom