Core 2 Duo Overclocking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to hear all is working out for you Jorbo, our setup is similar...I just got the rest of my stuff in today from newegg and started on the build. All the hardware is in and secured, just need to get the wiring set in...

For HSF i went with the Zalman CNPS9500...let me tell you, it is huge!!! my side air duct on my case its useless since it wont fit over it!! LOL but I'm ok with that my case has 4 fans: 1 top, 1 rear, 1 front and 2 sides...and its has ventilated holes on the other side and on top for heat to escaped...comes with an air filter for cleaning. pretty good case for 53.00

My setup:
E6400
Giga 965P-DS3
2x1gig OCZ Platinum
Sapphire Radeon X850XT (till DX10)
300GB Seagate Barracuda SATAII
Zalman CNPS9500 HSF
Antec TruepowerII 550W
Samsung DVD burner

All is set to go, I'll finish up wiring it and installing software tomorrow...

Jorbo what did you change in your BIOS to reach 3.2 as in your FSB, Multiplier, Voltage?? I'll be happy with 3.0, any info would be appreciated. thanks!!!

sounds like a pretty cool case. mine's got a huge 250mm side fan and two 120mm fans in it...not bad for a $40 case.

what i did was flash bios to F5 and then once in bios i pressed Ctrl+F1 to get all the settings for OCing (bottom option)

then i enabled the CPU Host thing and set the FSB to 400. (that'll put you @ 3.2Ghz. Vcore was at 1.4 BTW
I've also got my PCIe @ 100 and ram is DDR2-800 @ 4-4-4-12
^that ran superpi 1M in 18sec.^

hope that helps.
-----------------------------
just bought a HSF, 3.5" bay temp/fan monitor and a tv tuner card tonight off newegg...should have it by wed. and i'll start really OCing then. ;)

i'm hoping for 3.6-3.8 or so w/ a sub 15 sec. superpi 1M. think i'll be able to do it anybody?

Cool thanks, once I get the comp running I'll reflash it to F5...whats CPU Host ?? is that a program you used to OC or is that a title in BIOS I need to go to??

So basically once I reflash to F5, I click CTRL-F1 to get into BIOS and from there change my FSB to 400, Multi to 8, Volt to 1.4 ?? my ram is DDR2-800 4-5-4-15....since my FSB will be at 400 that means my ram will be running at 800 right ?? or do I need to change something ??

I guess I should talk about this once I get the flash done or more importantly once I get my OS installed lol...thanks for your help!!!

haha. you press the delete key during startup to get into bios. Then you press ctrl and F1 because it "unlocks" extra settings in the OCing part of bios.

and you'll wanna set the mem multiplier to 2 to run your ram 1:1 (DDR2-800) w/ the FSB.

i do believe i'll be joining this thread next week.. i'm here to compete with you "the general"... i'll have me my e6600 as well.. cheers to good competition!! i'm gonna beat your 14 second super pi!!!!

KingAustin said:
Ok, I got my BIOS to F5 and changed the BUS to 333 for starters.

c2doverclock.jpg

I didnt change my voltage at all, it just decided to go up with the BUS I guess. I want to post this and get some opinions to see if I should go any higher. I dont know much about RAM timings, but they look a little funky :confused: What do you guys use to measure your temps under load? The Easy tune software shows 49ºidle and with double prime going, 57-60º, are these accurate readings would you say?

Whats the temperature in your room? That is pretty high!

You do NOT need a voltage increase for the CPU. Mine runs at 7x400 on stock CPU voltage. Crashes are probably from undervoltage of your ram, DS3 has a 1.8 stock DIMM voltage, you gotta go into BIOS and put a .2-.3v voltage increase if your ram requires that much.

Also, GET NEW RAM.

Model: E6400
Motherboard: Gigabyte DS3
Vcore: 1.35
Cooling: Air---stock HSF and thermal pad---2x120mm 1x250mm case fans
Stability: Superpi and 5 hours on "Stress Prime 2004 Orthos"

getting a new HSF and AS5 and fan/temp monitor so my fans will actually start moving as fast as they should. Will post OC w/ new parts.

nice jordo, thats promising for me, i hope to hit 3.0 with an e6300, and you got a little over 1ghz overclock without raising vcore. Maybe i can squeeze a little more out of mine.

jordo_99 said:
Model: E6400
Motherboard: Gigabyte DS3
Vcore: 1.35
Cooling: Air---stock HSF and thermal pad---2x120mm 1x250mm case fans
Stability: Superpi and 5 hours on "Stress Prime 2004 Orthos"

getting a new HSF and AS5 and fan/temp monitor so my fans will actually start moving as fast as they should. Will post OC w/ new parts.
Nice :D

What G Skills do you have? Will they do 4-4-4-12 at 400Mhz?

yeah easily. it's an HZ (same as the generals)

i just don't wanna put my vcore up too high before i get my HSF in the mail. Once i get all that stuff set up my cpu should be really cool and then i'll try and run my ram @ DDR2-1066 or so @ 4-4-4-12 if i can. i just need better cooling before that happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom