Another Video Card Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the XFX cards really that bad? I haven't bought anything, so I can still go for the Leadtek one. The Leadtek one is a bit more expensive tho.

Well there support needs help.

I have a XFX 6600GT and they were having me run around in circles trying to figure out what was the problem with it. They told me to disable dual core and only run 1 core i asked them how they replied " go google it, you should find it easy." I still have hte email to prove it! :(. However they also told me to install the beta driver and it didn't fix anything and then they turned around and told me to install the old driver again which at that time i was made cause that was after about 5 emails and 4 phone calls... Finally i was googleing my problem and i found out that i needed a program AMD made. it was a big miss and at the end i acually was about to toss my card at the wall and wanted to buy a Evga :(.

I ogt lucky mine don't overheat however there is alot of people that don't and won't get XFX cause of overheating and stuff. But do you really want to go throw hte hassle and plus loseing 15% due to restocking fees from?

Get leadtek save hassles and all the other junk :D

Man, you're making me seriously think twice before getting that XFX card. Living in Mexico, it's gonna be a double hassle to return it if anything goes wrong. Uhm.. so paying that extra money for the Leadtek one is worth it?

Also, if I get the Leadtek one, I should overclock it (that's the whole point). However, I'm keeping the stock sink and fan. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4. Do you think this setting is apropriate to overclock the Leadtek card?

Edit: I've been researching and read a couple hardware reviews about that specific card (the XFX 7600GT XXX Ed), and while some do mention it gets a bit hot, everyone seemed to agree it was a fairly good card, with no major problems to report.

For instance, Legit Reviews: "Heat is not an issue on the XFX 7600GT. It does idle a little warm at 40c but the heatsink does a great job of keeping the core cool when pressed into action." Their bottomline is "The XFX 7600GT XXX Edition is the most powerful card you can get for less than $250. XFX has put together a great value and the best bang for the buck in 3D cards."

Should I trust them?

Ok, I think I've made up my mind. I apologize in advance: i'm going for the XFX GeForce 7600GT XXX Edition. I've done a lot of research and, while the card does get hot, the general concesus is that it doesn't represent any serious threat. See the following temperature test, for instance:

If the unthinkable does come, then I just hope XFX's "double lifetime" warranty lives up to its name. I'll also be sure to get decent cooling in the case. I'll monitor the temp for a few weeks when I get it.

Excuse my idiocy but can someone please explain what you are talking about when you say xfx and Leadtek? you are talking about the same cards..?

Oh ok.. i just got confused as i thought the nvidia range was called geforce?
im looking to buy a 7600GT.. is this the nvidia product or what..
Sorry this all has me a bit confused.
cheers

yup. nvidia produces the 5000, 6000, 7000 series.

ati produces the Xinsertnumberhere series (x500, x1300, etc etc)

geforce's are pretty old cards that used to be produced by nvidia.

Let me explain a bit.

A graphic card is made by two separate companies. One designs the GPU (graphics processing unit), which is the "brain" of the card. It's such a complex piece of technology that a whole company is dedicated to it. The other company (called the manufacturer) makes the circuit board on which the GPU is soldered, and puts memory modules, heatsink/fan and other electronics; they are also usually the ones that sell the final card.

For instance, GeForce 7600GT is the brand name and model of the GPU of the card (the chip), which is designed and fabricated by NVidia. Leadtek and XFX are two manufacturers that sell that particular chip on their cards. The main differences are the particular type/layout of memory, the type of outputs/inputs the card accepts and the fan/heatsink they install to cool the GPU. Usually, certain manufacturers are known to produce higher quality cards. While the GPU is the same, the particular layout of the rest of the card might hinder or boost the overall performance, so it's important to chose wisely.

Oh ok that makes a lot more sense now. Thanks for that fastr and Meithan.
Cheers boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom