LCD input convesion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcilles

Baseband Member
Hi I just joined Tech Forums.

My question might sound stupid or I might be positing it in the wrong section, but here goes.

I just bought an analog LCD and my video card has both the analog and digital inputs. I have an adaptor which lets me take the VGA (analog) connection from my LCD and convert it to DVI and then it can plug into the DVI input on my card.

My question is if the signal from my video card ( radeon 7500) is digital and my LCD being analog will this conversion cause any harm to the LCD.

I hope i made some sense...:confused:

No harm done...plug into the DVI on the video card, and then to the monitor....enjoy :D

Welcome to TF!! :cool:

In theory and actual trying, no. It will just convert to fit your display.

Welcome to TF!

Hello,

DVI is capable of carrying both analogue and digital signals - so it won't cause any harm as already said. The converter doesn't change the signal (whether it's analogue or digital), but only changes the pinout.

...So, when you plug a monitor up to the DVI port on the graphics card via VGA using a DVI-VGA converter, the signal which leaves the DVI port to the VGA cable on the monitor is analogue.

In short, the signal in this case is still analogue to analogue, not digital to analogue (between the graphics card and monitor).

thanks for the details, that helped alot.

By the way i did switch to the DVI adaptor, but when i did the screen on my LCD became smooth and it lost some detail, i tried switching the refresher rate but it remained smooth. So i went back to vga connection.

I decided to use the adaptor, thinking that the signal from the DVI connection would become digital and that it would match the LCD, being digital hardware, but Alvin C explained it further, by saying that no change would occur, it would still remain analog.

But your right Major, am sticking with the VGA.

sadly i have only DVI but and old crapper Analog monitor :(

I'll be getting an LCD with DVI soon :)

but yeah from my experiance it wont do anything to the monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom