Not booting my new machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinks

Beta member
Hey all!

I've recently custom built myself a computer.

On completion of the build I connected everything, double checked everything was okay and powered it up.

The problem: Nothing happened, the power came on, the fans came on, the lights lit up, the DVD drive made a noise and all the cards appeared to be working okay.

BUT nothing appears on the monitor (which I have tested and is working). The only thing that appears is the No Signal message.

I have checked the RAM and changed the modules around but to no avail. :(

From what I've read I have seen that the PSU is a big culprit of cold boots but I'm really no expert and I'd like someone's advice.

The specs are:
AMD Athlon X2 4200+
DFI LanParty n4 Motherboard
1GB PC3200 RAM
GeForce 7900GT 256mb
Maxtor SATA 300GB
DVD-RW
PSU 230V (420W OUTPUT)

Thanks in advance, your help is much much appreciated!
;)

if you have another video card try that they usually suggest stripping down to the bare minimum and instal one componet at a time to try to find the culprit?
sorry cant help more
tom

I agree with tomc, sounds like the video card either isn't working or maybe not seated properly. Obviously the cables are good since you can connect the monitor to another pc and it works. Reseat the video card and see what happens.

there might of been a short circuit when u were building ur PC but this happens rarely when u dont ground urself before touching anything

check this;
1. pull out CMOS battery for couple minutes, then place it back in
2. if that doesnt work unplug everything lik HD, IDE drives, floppy,etc (keep the CPU,PS, and video card in) if theres a onboard video card use that
3. check if the heatsink has thermal past and also see if its touching the CPU ( i once kicked my old computer so hard that the heatsink fell off the mobo and the PC didnt POST )
4. Im guessing this is a AM2, or 939,or 940 mobo if so check under the PS if it has 15a or more under the +12v range . also check if the 4 pin 12v plug is pluged in (if it has one on the mobo)

Hey Guys!

Thanks for your responses. Where to begin!!

Unfortunately I don't have another video card but we've been going by the diagnostic lights on the motherboard to see if the computer is operating correctly. When the computer is switched on the four RED LED lights come on and stay on. According to the manual this basically means that it can't find the CPU.

Now, I've reseated the CPU, and still it doesn't work. I've had a look for the thermal paste and it's there on the processor and heatsink. I took the CMOS battery out and put it back in and I also made sure the 12v connector was in but...no nothing worked!

I've also run through all the hardware in the machine but alas I cannot find the culprit and the four red lights still stay lit :(

Unfortunately I don't have a spare graphics card to test it as my old one was AGP and this motherboard only has PCI slots...so as far as that is concerned I don't know what to do.

But when the graphics card is not in the machine, the diagnostic lights still stay the same.

My processor socket is socket 939.

Okay, 420W PSU is under the requirements of a 7900 card. Try a higher wattage, like a 500W PSU, or 550.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom