Microsoft i.e 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
i use ie 6 and it works fine although i am running windows 98 at the moment although i am hoping to switch to RD linux soon. which changes the browser completely

Story,

If you have your firewall software on a disk, or can save it to a disk, try completly un-installing your firewall, and seeing if that works. If not, you may just have to see if it deleted all the registry settings as well. If not, you see if there is documentation on deleting all keys set by the fw software.

If this still doesn't work do a search on google or whatever for "Windows XP and Your FW company and Patches" That's probably gonna be your best bet if all else fails :).

Good Luck!!

look and see what's in C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files,
if there is anything related to msn delete it and install it again.
I had a similar problem with msn chat control.

Great suggestions I'll give it a go and see what happens thanks to all.
i might add that this problem original surfaced when trying to sign into msn messenger 5.0 which I downloaded sepreratley from the xp included windows messenger. Windows messenger works fine, it's about the only thing I can sign into.

thanx again

what might also help is if you do a print screen, copy it into paint, and then post it on here. Cause you never know, something may have slipped up thats not that obvious. Like the time i had the wrong DNS #'s in. :)

I uninstalled the firewall; I deleted everything associated with msn explorer and messenger etc. I again cleared the cache, history and even the cookies, still no go on this most perplexing machine sent to destroy me :)

which screen should I post, and do I post itno this thread or elsewhere?
thx

It is driving me nuts at full speed; this has to be one of the weirdest things I have encountered. Have a good sleep thanx again.

I have not tried the mozzila browser IÂ’ll give it a shot.

HereÂ’s the latest..

Mozilla won't work at all it tries to connect and is refused the connection. Netscape gives me that message when trying to logon to a secure sight or hotmail etc. and i.e, well I get that delightful page as you all already know.

This problem is weird. I have never heard of anything like it before, life is not life without the enigma I guess, but man how I wish for the adrenalin rush of finally having solved it..

this thing happened all the sudden, no warning just no hotmail etc., etc.

thanks for sleuthing with me.

I think I may have found the problem and I hope to fix it after work today.

Using ping 127.0.0.1 at the prompt, I received no replies 0f or 4 which I believe to indicate that I need to uninstall and then reinstall and configure TCP/IP, I think this should solve the problem.
However I am not given the option to uninstall my TCP/IP under network connections I was told that I should be give this option any ideas on this or did I over look something?
If I canÂ’t uninstall the TCP/IP I will probably do a system restore and then take the time to tweak xp back to the way I like it.
I hope this information can be useful to someone else in the future, I let you all know if it does indeed fix the problem.
Thanks again for all your help, it is much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom