Core 2 Duo Overclocking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ah ok. Plus im sure i would have seen someone post somethign along the lines of "D00DZ!!1!!11! I UNLOCK CACHE ON CONROE I IS TEH PWNZORZ!
anyway, how can the ds3 not be good enought for you when you pushed it to like 3.4 on with stock heatsink?

Well I suppose if I were going for ONLY HIGH CLOCK SPEEDS then it is good enough for me, but pre-2.6.18rc4 Linux kernels don't support it's IDE controller, so you don't get CD-ROM support until you compile a new kernel, even then it's flakey and a pain in the arse. The network card kept changing from eth0 to eth1 to eth2 to eth0 which was a pain in the arse, because I had to reconfigure the networking EVERY time I rebooted. It lacks IDE slots, so I only get two DVD drives and NO IDE harddrives. It doesn't support SLi. The list goes on.

And it was hot with the stock heatsink, I got an aftermarket Zalman.

it's not the best motherboard in my mind, but it's a good overclocker under 200 dollars. Plus i only play on using 1 dvd drive and sata hard drives. And im going to use the lan port on the mother board. Plus im not an uber gamer, so i dont' plan on having to use sli/crossfire. If i need killer graphics someday, ill just spend the money i could afford for 2 cards on one card.

You should be fine, however, as The General mentioned, the IDE support is not that great. However, it is fine for my two IDE DVD drives.

If you have SATA hard drives, and don't care about SLI/XFire, it should have everything you need.

yeah sounds like ill be fine. i got a video card that should meet my needs pretty well, and it saved me some money. it was a saphire x850xt 256mb 256bit ddr3 card. Everything on this rig is so much better than my old one, i cna't wait to see the difference.

EDIT:

THANKS A TON idiotec. I finally got the bios to flash using @bios.

*fixed all the problems i was having and now i'm running @ 3200 w/ stock vcore. I'll probably be shooting higher in a few weeks once i order a new HSF.

once again thanks a ton. i didn't even know about the @BIOS.

jordo_99 said:
EDIT:

THANKS A TON idiotec. I finally got the bios to flash using @bios.

*fixed all the problems i was having and now i'm running @ 3200 w/ stock vcore. I'll probably be shooting higher in a few weeks once i order a new HSF.

once again thanks a ton. i didn't even know about the @BIOS.
Great, glad to hear it :D

One note, if vcore is set to "Auto", it will actually automatically raise vcore when you OC. Check vcore from CPU-Z and see what actual vcore is running at. I am guessing it is actually upping it to ~1.4 -1.45. I recommend setting vcore manually as you can often get it stable with less volts than the board will auto set it at.

Also, lets see some screen shots!!! :D

yeah i will soon. what's a good temp monitoring program to use? i tried motherboard monitor 5 and it doesn't work.

At this point all i know is that my idle is around 45C but i'll be getting a new HSF in a few days so i'm gonna lower it down to a 2.8+- OC until then. I'm going w/ a Thermaltake Big Typhoon. Any other suggestions on a HSF or a good and cheap TV tuner? I'm probably gonna be getting a tv tuner shipped w/ it.

and yeah...it was on auto so now cpuz is reading around 1.4

I'll hopefully have everything running perfect and get screenshots up in about a week.

sweet, all my parts came today. Im building Friday and Saturday, and ill post from my new computer when im done. Look to be overclocking sometime around the middle of next week, just so i can be sure i got everything working. Im gonna be overclocking with an e6300 on stock HSF, so we'll see how far i can push it. Im already using my new monitor, speakers, keyboard, and mouse. So far everyhting looks to be in great shape. Unfortunately new egg shipped my motherboard with a crush wound( i couldn't think of a better word) on the corner. Ill upload the picture i took of it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom