WinXP can't start... HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

frapped

Solid State Member
When I boot my computer, it says

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I copied hal.dll from a working computer onto a disk. When I'm at the command prompt and I type, "copy A:\hal.dll c:\windows\system32\hal.dll" it says it cannot find the specified directory. I then try to CD to c:\windows\system32 but it cannot find it. So I figured it somehow got deleted, and I tried typing "mkdir c:\windows\system32" and that didn't work (cannot create the directory), so I went into c:\windows and tried "mkdir system32" and got the same message. Is there a way to use the Windows XP recovery console to fix this? I have many important files on this hard drive, so I can't afford to toss it. It's a relatively new, 60 gig Western Digital and it's never been physically damaged.

HAL is short for hardware abstraction layer, programming in an operating system that functions as an interface between a systemÂ’s hardware and software, providing a consistent hardware platform on which to run applications. When a HAL is employed, applications do not access hardware directly but access the abstract layer provided by the HAL. Like APIs, HALs allow applications to be device-independent because they abstract information from such systems as caches, I/O buses and interrupts and use this data to give the software a way to interact with the specific requirements of the hardware on which it is running.
If you've placed your hd in a pc that has diff specs, you will get this error. You need to transfer your files to some form of backup (ie. another hd, cd-w, tapes, another share). Don't be alarmed, it is not the blue screen of death and the drive can still be used. It just needs a little work. Reformat my friend...reformat.

I did a lot of stuff to that hard drive today, and I managed to fix enough problems to mount the damn thing in Knoppix. After I backup all my stuff, I'm definitely going to format. One more question though: Is there a way to restore those found.000 and file0000.chk folders/files to their original states? Knoppix does a good job letting me browse them, and I've even recovered some mp3s and pictures... but there are so many bits and pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom