Wanting to run Windows X64 as main OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disillusion

Daemon Poster
I got myself a valid X64 OS through my college and want to install it on my PC and run it as my ONLY operating system. I shouldn't have any problems since there is a 32 bit emulator, right?

I've only ran X64 once but it wasn't a valid one. I just downloaded it to try it for a few days. I didn't have any problems then, but I don't think 32 bit drivers or something will work. Am I right?

often times some peaces of hardware will come with 64 bit drivers and others dont check the website of all the components you need to have drivers for. same with software.

It's best you check out the manufacture website for 64-bit driver version of your hardware before installing a 64-bit version of Windows.

32-bit applications can still run on Windows 64-bit or Vista 64-bit. I'm not sure which particular ones don't.

But yea, you need driver support for 64-bit, 32-bit driver won't work.

Well, I'm coming to find out that some programs won't work on the 64 bit OS. IDK why... I tried Tuneup utilities 2006 and it says it's not compatible for a 64 bit OS and they are "working on a 64 bit program". Why can't it just emulate the 32 bit?

Probably because the application still uses a 16-bit installer or the application installer checks for compatible Windows and found none...

Some 32-bit application need access to the kernel, which is in 64-bit.

Some 32-bit application might still work..but there's no guarantee though, unless you check with the software maker. That's what you currently get with 64-bit, wait a couple more year until everyone moves towards it and major companies start producing 64-bit support for their products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom