Dell Processor Died =\

Status
Not open for further replies.

nahbaegopa

Beta member
Hey guys, I just had my Pentium 4 2.4 GHZ processor die on me, socket 478. I was wondering if I could replace the processor with a Celeron 2.6 GHZ processor thats also socket 478.

how come you are sure its dead? processor dead is the leasttttttttttttttt probability when computer fails to start. check out your other components.

though you can use any compatible processor.

My thoughts exactly, B_A.

Odds are either the PSU, mobo, of video (card or chip) died.

the cpu actually has black marks on it, presumably from it being fried. I tested the psu, hdd, and ram, and they all work. This pretty much narrows it down to being the motherboard and/or the processor. Is there any way to see if my motherboard is stll working?

Pop in another processor and give her a whirl.

If it fried, you either had a heck of an energy surge (mobo probably fried, too), or your fan on your heatsink died. Possibly the thermal pad died, too. Anyway, you will have to get some thermal paste and apply it on the CPU before you remount the heatsink.

im not quite sure if the mobo still works. the heatsink fan still spins, and the hard drives still operate with this old motherboard. ill have to find a cpu to give it a try. thanks for everything

hhmm, that doesnt seems possible either, unless you were using your CPU as ashtray, as P-4 comes with thermal Diode, even the P-3 was in with that. as when it gets hotter, it shuts down the system. though strange problem you're telling that a P-4 has black marks on it. then this is one in a million case I have ever seen for P-4's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom