pros/cons of am2, or should i go 939?

Status
Not open for further replies.

R1C0CH3T

Daemon Poster
im looking into building another rig for my friends when they come over so we can pwn in unison. right now on newegg, am2 x2 3800 athlon is cheaper than a s939 x2 3800, and what im wondering is if there is any performance gain with am2, like with the different ram and whatnot. thanks

AM2 supports the DDR-2, whilst 939 dont. this results in future safety, plus maximum bandwidth from 14GB to 20GB (in case of AM2).

also, for AM2, nVidia's newest chiset nForce series 5 is out, which is even more advanced than Intel's newest 975 chipset. make your choice!

The performance gain from 939 to AM2, isn't much but I'd still go with AM2 for future upgradability.

what u guys are saying future upgradability? if a new processor came out in 2 year that uses the am2(i doubted it) then you would want a new motherboard anyway. And no AMD hanvent said anything about am3 working on am2, ppl are just speculating. Build 2 systems with the amd x2 3800 939 and am2 which ever is cheaper pick that one.

jeezus, pc3200 prices have like doubled! the same set on newegg that i got for $140 for a 2gig set is now about $230... ddr2 is probly more expensive then that, but then i can also use it on a future conroe system, so i think ill go am2

tell me about the RAM. I spotted a sweet deal on RAM at the begening of last week, and by friday when i ordered my build the price had jumped up 40 bucks. And by the next week it had jumped up about 40 more.

The only difference I can see right now is the RAM difference and the fact that more AM2 mobo's support 3gb/s SATA. The cheapo DDR2 is around the same price (maybe a few dollars more) than decent DDR (pc3200). I chose 939 on my current X2 4200+ build because of the current support. I usually build a $1k-1.5k computer every year or two so I'm not worried about it being "futureproof."

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom