How can I change the default name of a drive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofreeb

Baseband Member
Hi,

By default the name of the CD rom drive is "CD rom" is there any possibility to change it?

It is not possible from the Properties...

Ofreeb

Are you trying to change the default name of your CD drive? If so, I don't think it is possible, seeing the CD drive is named after the CD you insert.

kpmwrestler said:
maybe he is trying to say he wants to change the drive letter?

thats what i was thinking too lol if thats the case here

1. Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.

Note If you do not see Performance and Maintenance, go to step 3. Performance and Maintenance appears in Control Panel only if you use Category view. If you use Classic view, Performance and Maintenance does not appear.
3. Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then click Disk Management in the left pane.
4. Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the volume that you want to assign a drive letter to, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
5. Click Add.
6. Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already selected, and then either accept the default drive letter or click the drive letter that you want to use.
7. Click OK.

Hi,

Sorry guys to have forgotten you...

I did mean the default name of the drive - WHEN THERE IS NO DISC INSERTED. For exemple, instead of calling it CD drive, Laser drive...

Guys...

I got the answer from somewhere else:

RENAMING A CD DRIVE

If your Operating System is Windows 2000/XP/2003 you rename your optical drives so the appear as you wish in Windows Explorer and My Computer.

It would require you to edit the Registry.

1. Start > Run > Regedit
2. Go to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Explorer\DriveIcons\D\Default Label

Assuming D is the name of your drive letter.

In the left explorer pane.

If there is no DriveIcons Key you will have to make one.
Highlight the Explorer key, then right click and select New Key, name it DriveIcons.

Assuming D is the letter of your CD/DVD drive.

If there is no key named D (or whatever your drive letter is) you will have to make the key, (Highlight the DriveIcons Key and right click and select New Key, name it to whatever your drive letter is) eg: D

If you have multiple drives, you will have to make keys for each drive, eg: D: & F: or whatever the drives letters are. (then follow below.)

Then create a key named DefaultLabel, (create one by right-clicking the key for your drive "in this case, D" and selecting New > Key. Name it DefaultLabel)

If you have multiple drives you will have to make a key named DefaultLabel for each drive letter.

Now in the right Explorer pane:

Change the (Default) value to the label you want. To do this right click the (Default) value and select modify, then enter what you want to call your drive.
If you have multiple drives you will have to change the (Default) values for each drive.

Restart the computer to see the changes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom