64 Bit Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
b_young86 said:
Just post your expriences with 64 bit systems and windows XP 64 bit edition

From my understanding executing 64bit code takes longer than executing 32bit code. So why would anyone waste money on one of those expensive chips?

No if your check http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_10220_10221,00.html and read about it, AMD's 64-bit processor will handle 32 bit applications just as good as a 32 bit processor would. The reason for this is mainly because of AMD's HyperTransport technology which you can read about on that same page. If you remember back to the days of Windows 3.1 and Windows 95, that was the transport from 16 bit into 32 bit. 64 bit systems will eventually be as popular as today's 32 bit machines, so why not be prepared for the future? People are always complaining that their computers are obsilite in a year or two, this is a chance to buy tomarrow's technology today. And if you are looking for a cheap high end laptop, visit www.emachines.com and check out the M6805. I just bought it, waiting for it to be delivered, can't wait to try it out, and i will keep you posted.

The failure rate of emachines is above 50% in one year. I know a techi that worked there. And I can vouch for that having owned one.

ChaosBlizzard said:
The failure rate of emachines is above 50% in one year. I know a techi that worked there. And I can vouch for that having owned one.

Well what I meant, is within the first year the failure rate is higher than 50%. Meaning something in the sytem with most likely go around the time the warantee runs out, how convenient..

My belief has always been that wat matters most is the hardware being used, i am a big fan of AMD and the hardware that is in this machine sounds good to me. and worse comes to worse, it was only 1249.99 so i can always get a new one. correct me if i am wrong but e-machines are a korean branch off of IBM right? and also, would u be able to get me a copy of windows 2000?

what matters most is the money coming out of my pocket

the amd 64s are one of the most expensive chips available to reasonable desktop computer

who cares if it can process 32 bit apps as fast as a 32 bit processor?? The point is THERE ARE NO 64 bit PROGRAMS.

ok so windows has a free 64 bit download - for you to beta test...

"Why keep a golden shovel, when you can sell it and buy a thousand iron ones" - proverb

Ill wait until 64 bit processors have a use before I spend buku bucks

NCISAGENT said:
what matters most is the money coming out of my pocket

the amd 64s are one of the most expensive chips available to reasonable desktop computer

who cares if it can process 32 bit apps as fast as a 32 bit processor?? The point is THERE ARE NO 64 bit PROGRAMS.

ok so windows has a free 64 bit download - for you to beta test...

"Why keep a golden shovel, when you can sell it and buy a thousand iron ones" - proverb

Ill wait until 64 bit processors have a use before I spend buku bucks

So you're saying that it is better to buy a 32 bit computer, and then a 64 bit computer later?? you're buying two computers, i think that buying two computers will cost more than buying one more advanced one. and honestly if you want to stay up to date, then spending a lil more money up-front makes more sence. I expect windows beta verison of XP 64-bit to suck (considering windows sux ass already) but with time (maybe 2-3 years) 64 bit apps will be more popular, and it will eventually become the standard. Think of how quickly x-box came into play. x-box started out new in the area of gaming, with no games, compared to playstation 2 which had years in the gaming business and many games already out. but if you ask people who have used both, more people like x-box, and the programming language used for x-box games was quickly adapted. so think about that...

If you have the money then 64 bit is the way to go. Its faster and its not like they are going to change their minds... 64 bit programs will be here eventually. So why not have a processor that kicks ass now and then in a year or so will still kick ass.

b_young86 said:
and worse comes to worse, it was only 1249.99 so i can always get a new one.

give me ur money!
EDIT::: oh and btw. 64 cpu are better cuz amd64 has hypertransport which is actually worth the xtra bux. and the low lvl amd 64's are even less than the highest athlon xp. but the mobo will be a bit more. but its really not that much money, and the compatibility in the future will be much better. and the RAM speed can be alot higher on account of the hypertransport.
it really is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom