Watercooling...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read something on that petra's tech shop think about some solid state TEC whatevers. Apparently they do some electrical magic and it makes one side hot and one side cold and the cooler you keep the hot side the colder the cold side will be so its possible to achieve sub ambient temps? Is this worth it? Does it work reliably? Would I really need another PSU to handle it? I have a 650w Aspire Beastpower right now.. And Im not using SLi anymore.

Tec aka thermoelectric chip is essentially running a current through a sandwitch of 2 dissimilar metals in which one side gets very hot 100C
and on very cold, down to 0C you basically put the cold side on the chip, and the water cool the hot side.

It is alot trickier than normal water cooling and introduces numerous challenges on top of running water through your computer.

I highly advise you to first get used to water cooling and then try out tec cooling.

okay thanks. and is that list that you gave me some good stuff? im taking out the hose, the clamps, and the pump since my dad says he can get all of those things dirt cheap from work. im concerned about the pump though.... he works at a pipeline company so im concerned he wont get the right kind and it will be something totally unusable. is there anything SPECIAL about these pumps from petra?

If i were you, id buy the everything with the exception of the clamps at petras, the pumps your father uses are probably the wrong size fiting, dont run on a 12volt dc current as found inside the somputer, and the tubing is the best stuff around, and is made pretty much for w/c ing

alright thanks, im ordering today. now is there anything in there that isnt good? like when i bought my 7800gt i was thinking "pfft what diffrence could 4 more piplines make?" but now i wished i woulda got the gtx. are my blocks all like... good? am i going to regret anything?

edit: ummmmm lol my dad is getting mad because you said he didnt know the diff between DC and AC... hes going to make me use the cheap stuff he gets from work and its going to ruin my watercooling system not to mention my computer >_< blah!!!!
how much better is watercooling than high performance air cooling?

Well, water cooling is quieter, better performing, majorly pimp, and is very effective at getting rid of heat quickly.

Sorry if i offended your father, i should have worded it along the lines of make sure it runs off 12 volt dc, has 1/2 inch fittings, and will fit inside you case.

aspire.comptech said:
Well, water cooling is ... majorly pimp ...
I'm going to be majorly pimp when I get water cooling? I've been waiting for this day to come.....
lol nice. yea, well my dad insists that I can get it cheaper but id hate to put it in and find out it pumps too fast, or too slow or something and have my CPU die on me cause i wanted to save a few bucks.

okay, so i have another problem and im not getting it today because i cant figure this out. with that list of things you gave me is that ALL i need?? i dont think i want to use a T-line. i have to room for a resivoir and my dad who seems to be the expert although hes never heard of watercooling before i brought it up to him says resivoirs are better (whatever) and i read on that guide that T-lines take forever to bleed. i have many open drive bays so thats not a problem. now if i get a resivoir, do i still need that fancy cap thing that was on there? is there anything special i need for a resivoir?

edit: also, can someone give me a SUGGESTED order of components for the system? someone said they can be in any order but that doesnt help. like doesnt the resivoir have to be by the pump so it can suck water out as it gets cold? and then somewhere for the excess pressure to go once the water gets hot? my dad said thats what the resivoir is for. anyone have any info? btw, im getting tired of my dad trying to act like he is all knowing of watercooling systems.......

T-Lines offer slightly better performance, howveer they do take a little longer to bleed more like 8 hours or so.

Reservoirs are not needed, and make it moe difficult to fill or empty the loop. They also hurt performance. Finally they add more noise, and the water never does get hot enough to have pressure issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom