Core 2 Duo Overclocking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
well after about another hour of digging i found out that i can press Ctrl+F1 to unlock the memory timings and some other stuff.

I'll do that for a little while and see if i can't get stuff to work.

*EDIT*

Now i've got my ram timings fixed (3-4-4-12)

i still can't fix the FSB on the mobo to go at 400Mhz to match the ram. would setting it to 450 work? any ideas?

sorry jordo i replied to the last poster on the previous page. I guess i didn't notice this page yet. But i wasn't refering to you. I have the same RAM and MoBo as you, so if you run into many problems then make sure you let me know.

well the ram is running great but i can't seem to get the mobo/cpu FSB up to 400mhz yet. the ram runs amazing though.

i'm gonna start trying to get the FSB to run at 415,420 etc. and keep moving it around in hopes of it working sometime

jordo_99 said:
well after about another hour of digging i found out that i can press Ctrl+F1 to unlock the memory timings and some other stuff.

I'll do that for a little while and see if i can't get stuff to work.

*EDIT*

Now i've got my ram timings fixed (3-4-4-12)

i still can't fix the FSB on the mobo to go at 400Mhz to match the ram. would setting it to 450 work? any ideas?
Why did you set CAS 3? Set it at 4.

Other settings:

PCI-e Freq. 100
RAM Divider 2 (1:1)
Timings (from top down) 4-4-4-12-auto-auto-auto
vcore 1.4
vdimm +.3 (2.1)

To start leave FSB/NB/PCI-e volts at auto. If it isn't working, try +.1 on all of them.

If it still won't boot at FSB of 400, lower multi to x7. If that works, then your CPU probably needs more vcore. Up to 1.45 and try again.

ok...here goes.

i set the FSB at 400...it boots but still says 266 in CPUZ and for the C3L, i set it at 4-4-4-12 and CPUZ shows 3-4-4-12.

i just can't figure out why my computer will boot but not run at 400 for FSB. my ram is pretty responsive but i can't get my cpu to respond.

EDIT: i just now noticed (after trying your advice idiotec) that my "cpu FSB" option always starts at auto and i'll change it to manual but it's changed back when i restart.

don't know why but i keep having to set the FSB manually each time. is there a way to fix that? i'm guessing that's what's messing up.

Oh and do you guys think i can push my e6300 to 3.0 with stock hsf? im getting a DS3, and 2X1gb of g skill with 4-4-4-12 timings at 800mhz. Ill have a 120mm fan on exaust, 2 80mm fans on intak, and an 80mm blowhole fan, along with a side air duct. If i can reach 3.0 than ill got crazy. But i wanna at least match the 2.8 ghz that this pentium 4 on my dell is running. If i can get 2.8ghz of conroe it will beast any processor ive ever worked with. Paired up with 2 gb of ram at somewhere between 800-1000 mhz and this thing will rock! heres a link to the RAM so you know how it performs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065

wow the price on that RAM has shot up, i bought it for 189. It started at like 149 about a week ago. People apear to be getting exelent overclocks with it too.

If CPU-z keeps showing CAS 3, I am guessing you haven't yet flashed the BIOS with F4 or F5. That was a problem with the early BIOS. MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING F4 OR F5!

If FSB keeps defaulting back to auto, it may be the BIOS resetting itself because it isn't stable/isn't accepting the settings. It is part of this "fail safe" type thing that is supposed to keep you from having to reset CMOS, although I have had to many, many times. :p Also, make sure your saving settings by hitting F10 when your done ;)

One other thing you can try, disable any feature you don't need (i.e. USB Legacy Storage, USB Keyboard, USB Mouse etc.)

ok i'll try disabling the other features...yeah i've been saving everytime but it still comes up w/o my cpu host clock enabled.

i'm running on Pro x64 btw. I've tried to install F4 and F5 but neither will work for some reason. I got regular XP Pro w/ my 64-bit version so i might just clear my HD and install that and give it a try.

if i don't get it to work by midnight i'll probably end up just re-installing the OS w/o x64.

What do you mean when you say F4 and F5 "won't work?" What does it do? How are you flashing (Floppy, @BIOS etc.)?

Edit: Oh, and yeah, I would ditch that x64 crap. There is no real benefit right now, just buggy driver support. :mad:

yeah i'm on my laptop right now but i'm reformatting my HD w/ regular XP Pro on my C2D build. I'll hopefully have everything running well in about an hour and I'll just post back then. thanks idiotec.

thankfully both versions of Pro came bundled (for $5 hehe) so i didn't have to pay for two OS.

EDIT: well now i've got regular Pro running (it's working better) but i can't seem to get F4 or F5 to work for my BIOS. i don't have a floppy drive. Can I do it w/o one?

I'm gonna be trying to get a hold of a floppy drive in the mean time so if i can get one installed i'll update that ASAP. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom