Ram ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawzer

Baseband Member
The PC are am upgrading wouldn't boot (no signal to monitor & no beep). After swapping out just about every other component, I finally swapped the RAM stick for one that I borrowed from a friend. After swapping it, the pc booted correctly, so I gave the ram back to my friend and took my stick back to the shop and replaced it. However when I installed the new stick I got exactly the same problem. Any ideas why?? Could the second stick be faulty as well or is there perhaps a compatability problem?

ASUS A7V8X-X
Athlon 2600 XP
Radeon 9200 SE

256mb PC2100 266 DDR (this what I am having the problem with

Grateful for any suggestions.

the problem is your processor needs some pc2700 333 ddr

The fsb of the 2600 is 333 you can use faster memory with a slower cpu but not the other way round

check if your mates is pc2700

Thanks, I'll do that.

I didn't think to check the Ram spec against the processor spec, I only checked it against the MB and assumed it would be okay.

Cheers.

Why would he want to do that? He needs to get PC2700 memory to match the speed of his FSB. This is the prefered speed for the best stability.

Always match up the processor's fsb with the memory's speed and you will not go wrong.

I took the RAM back to the shop and they exchanged it for the same type (PC2100) but a different brand. The machine seems to be booting okay now, but can I assume that I won't be getting optimal performance from this setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom