What can I do with this system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tisoraku

In Runtime
Re-wording of the other question.

We have a Compaq Presario 5000, bought over six years ago, even after reloading the entire system every couple months, is doesn't run that well, getting slower over time, would at least like it to run like it did when first purchased, too many errors, slow.

Is there anything that can be done for $50.00 or less to help the system run better?

What would make the computer be slowing over time, something is getting old.

Pentium III
863 MHz
128 MB of Ram

Windows Xp Professional

I was reading that Windows Xp Professional should have 256 ram or better, since we only have 128 ram would that cause any problems?

Thanks

Adding more RAM would make a noticable difference, but on a machine that old it could be expensive.

This machine is old enough that you need to ask yourself if it is worth investing more money on parts that you will not be able to use in a newer machine.

what could you do with this machine? Well winter is around the corner, not sure how well metal burns but the wires inside should burn long enough to give you heat :/

Like the previous post said, with a system that old, do you REALLY want to upgrade it? Or would you rather just get a replacement, computers are really cheap these days.

One thing you could do is use Windows 2000, or continue using XP with an extra 256MB RAM added into it.

Right now, you're using XP with the absolute minimum requirements.

what could you do with this machine? Well winter is around the corner, not sure how well metal burns but the wires inside should burn long enough to give you heat :/

Too toxic.

Like the previous post said, with a system that old, do you REALLY want to upgrade it?

Only option right now.

Or would you rather just get a replacement, computers are really cheap these days.

I would rather buy a new computer, it's not in the budget anytime soon, so we have to make due with a possible update. Seeing what I can update for $50.00 or less.

One thing you could do is use Windows 2000, or continue using XP with an extra 256MB RAM added into it.

Right now, you're using XP with the absolute minimum requirements.

I always thought that was a problem, I want to go to a 512 ram, that is the most this computer can be updated.

What brand of ram is the best to buy, or the best cheapest there is?

Get a new hard drive.

How much would that run?

Actually 64mibs is the minimum requirement of XP. I know - I tried it. :eek:

CPU is OK, just get some RAM, a 256 stick shouldn't be too expensive. Otherwise folding?

Yeah look for a 256mb stick and pop it in...should help a bit...also make sure your PC is free of spyware

But PLEASE upgrade as soon as you get the chance...that PC is ancient.

CPU is OK, just get some RAM, a 256 stick shouldn't be too expensive. Otherwise folding?

How about a 512?
What brand would I buy for a Compaq presario 5000?

Yeah look for a 256mb stick and pop it in...should help a bit...also make sure your PC is free of spyware

I run scans often, and reload the computer every couple months.

But PLEASE upgrade as soon as you get the chance...that PC is ancient.

What makes it worse is it was never the top model when it was bought, at least want it to run like it used to until we can buy a new computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom