Corrupt file :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syphanx

Daemon Poster
Ok so I just downloaded the new 540mb Battlefield 2 patch, (v1.4). I have had a few problems loading big files like this on my computer, they just seem to freeze, not load and the just bottleneck the f*ck out of my system, to sometimes where to the point it just doesn't want to do anything and I have to do a system restart by the switch.

This can't be a corrupt file as I've attempted loading several .exe files which are all above 450mb, and have the same problem.... So what is the problem!? This really frustrates me, the cpu usage just goes up to 100% and just freezes....

HELP ME!!!

(oh and by the way, my computer specs are below)

Syphanx said:
Ok so I just downloaded the new 540mb Battlefield 2 patch, (v1.4). I have had a few problems loading big files like this on my computer, they just seem to freeze, not load and the just bottleneck the f*ck out of my system, to sometimes where to the point it just doesn't want to do anything and I have to do a system restart by the switch.

This can't be a corrupt file as I've attempted loading several .exe files which are all above 450mb, and have the same problem.... So what is the problem!? This really frustrates me, the cpu usage just goes up to 100% and just freezes....

HELP ME!!!

(oh and by the way, my computer specs are below)

Did you scan the file with an AV program?
If no virus can be found, then have you got the latest directX from MS website?

I have no clues if the game you tried to play is a 3D, but I am sure 512MB RAM for gaming in XP is really not enough.

Buy another pair of Kingston 256MB RAM to make up a 1GB RAM!

Check Device Manager/Disk drives, select each of your hard disk. Is "Enable write caching on the disk" check?

Can you verify the large files on your computer actually work on another computer, if you could some how burn it to a CD. If the files are corrupted, they should have the same problem. This would mean that your computer or network setting are corrupting the files.

You should be able to open large files on that spec without having to buy any more hardware upgrade. Just make sure to disable any security application like anti-virus scanner at the time.

Yeah I already have 1gb of ram, my sig says x2 512mb....

I went into "My computer" then to Local Disk :C --> Properties --> Then where is "Enable write caching on the disk"?

If this is it, I went to the "Sharing" tab, then "allow caching of files in this shared folder box is ticked, and the setting is set to "Manual caching of documents", should it be set to, "Automatic Caching of Documents and Programs"?
OR
"Automatic Caching of Documents"?

I have no virus' and the file is clean, how could my network be corrupting the file as it downloads? And if so what settings do I change?

Thanks,

Michael

What AV are you using? Did you also do a antispyware scan using another product. Sometimes one will catch what the other doesn't.

Syphanx said:

I went into "My computer" then to Local Disk :C --> Properties --> Then where is "Enable write caching on the disk"?

If this is it, I went to the "Sharing" tab, then "allow caching of files in this shared folder box is ticked, and the setting is set to "Manual caching of documents", should it be set to, "Automatic Caching of Documents and Programs"?
OR

I have no virus' and the file is clean, how could my network be corrupting the file as it downloads? And if so what settings do I change?

Thanks,

Michael

Device Manager/ Disk drives

Ok both already have "Enable write caching on the disk" selected...
There is definetly no virus in the file. I use Computer Associates E-Trust Virus Scanner along with Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, Ad-aware professional and Spybot search and destroy. So the system is definetly secure, any other suggestions?

Im going to ask my cousin to download the exact same file from the exact same site and see whether it will run on his computer regardless if he has the game or not.

Syphanx said:

OR

Thanks,

Michael
Then the most possible reason for your problem may be that the file you have downloaded has CRC or Hash-code error.

Are you using BitComet?

And what exactly is a CRC or Hash-code error?

Yes I downloaded the file via Bit torrent, but I have also downloaded another file (the previous patch), from an internet site (ausgamers.com.au) and it did not work either...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom