Windows XP will not copy to my new 80gb hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcgl0re1

Baseband Member
Here is my pain I have windows xp on a 30gb drive that is partitioned into two drives. Windows xp is running off of a 20gb partition and the other partition is for storage. I have grown out of this hard drive, so I bought a Western Digital 80gb w/8mb cache drive then comes my pain. Windows XP will not allow me to move my XP partition to the new drive! Even in the help and support if you look it up it will tell you that windows xp does not support this. Any ideas what I can do to solve this problem. I had considered using windows backup, reloading windows xp on the new drive then using windows backup to try to take the new drive to were I have my computer now. Only problem is I could just do a full install, and save time. The tools that came with the drive will not copy the XP partition either. Maybee I should do a full install because I am going to use the old 30gb for a double boot with mandrake linux.

So my questions are this, should I just go ahead and reinstall XP on the new drive?
And, if I want to double boot to mandrake is there a certain way I should go about it? Or do I just tell windows xp I will be double booting during setup? Will it promt me to install linux at that time? Will using a NTSF partition, and whatever mandrake will be using as its file system cause problems? With the double boot that is, or will it just ask which one to load? I realize that by doing the seperate file systems that each operating system will not be able to use the others partition. Can you think of any other problem I will come across?

I know this is a lot of questions, but this is the first time I will be attempting a double boot with two diff operating system types. Your support is welcomed.

I checked it out, but it is not what I need. Anyway I decided to reinstall windows to the new drive anyway. All I need know are the linux questions answered:

quote from my other post:
And, if I want to double boot to mandrake is there a certain way I should go about it? Or do I just tell windows xp I will be double booting during setup? Will it promt me to install linux at that time? Will using a NTSF partition, and whatever mandrake will be using as its file system cause problems? With the double boot that is, or will it just ask which one to load? I realize that by doing the seperate file systems that each operating system will not be able to use the others partition. Can you think of any other problem I will come across?

If you are installing linux to a seperate DRIVE you dont need to do anything to XP, install XP first then install Mandrake from the CD to the other drive. During the install it will set up a Bootloader for you called LILO, this will alow you to dual boot both OS'. Oh yea, you want to use the "ext2" filesystem for your linux partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom