Clock cycle Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

schulz269

Daemon Poster
For as long as I have been on this forum there has been alot of questions about this topic.

This is going to explain between intels clock cycles and AMD clock cycles.

I have heard this explained a few times and this topic can be rather confusing for poeple. I hope this helps :D.

Intel has a short clock cycle which makes it can only allow so much per clock cycle and the rest have to overlap or drag onto the next cycle.

AMD has a longer clock cycle which is so you can do a few things and get it done in one clock cycle. This can appear slower but you get more things done at once then having to wait to do multi things over more then one clock cycle.

I well be posting an example below to help you understand it better. First I have to touch on one for subject.

GHZ in a processor doesn't really tell you how fast the processor is. I mean it does to a point but it doesn't. If you want to find out what process is equal to each other look at Intels GHZ say its 3.0GHZ and then look at the name of AMDs CPU the number in the name (AMD 64 3000+) means that it is equal to or better then Intels 3.0 GHz processor. Amd isn't marked as 3.0GHZ doesn't mean there not equal. It all has to do with the clock cycles which I have explained above.

Now with that said here is an example.

Intel 3.0 ghz, AMD 64 3000+
Truck A = intel, Truck B = AMD

There both taking 100lbs of dirt to the same place and there leaving at the same time.

Truck A can only carry 20lbs at a time but he travels at 100Mph. Truck B can carry 100lbs but it can only travel at 10Mph.

*return trip for truck A has been accounted for and fixed*

Truck A can complete 5 loads of 20lbs when AMD only can take one load. However they both end up getting done at the same time.

AMD might have to wait longer for its clock cycles but they both get done at the same time altho Intel might seem like it goes faster but it really don't.

**Note this does not include core2 duo processors. I haven't done much research on those processors. I well be looking and adding more infromation about them at a later time or if someone wants to do it and post it on here i well copy and past it into this part.**

I know I probably have forgot something or totally missed something up. If so jsut let me know i well fix it. I am jsut trying to help cut down on alot of the questions on this topic.

this is a very good explanation of them, but it explains the intel cores before CD2, you might want to edit that in.

I was thinking about it altho i ahven't really studdied or got into core 2 duo (been studding for college and everything A+ test coming up here soon) but however i well look into it more.

Well, i don;t want to sound like a smart @$$ cause i am not, but your explanation has one problem. I mean, I totally understand your explanation and it is a very good one. Its just that i look way to hard into some things;)

The main problem is that truck B has to only go one direction and one distance, while truck A has to go two distances, towards the dumpsite and back to where he started.

lets imagine that the distance between pick-up site and dump site is 100 miles. IN one hour truck A reaches the dumpsite while truck B goes 10 miles. in the next hour truck A returns back the the pick up site while truck B is at 20 miles. So at this rate, Truck A will have only made 5 dumps while Truck B reaches the dumpsite. So really, for your explination to work truck A needs to travel at twice the velocity as truck B. But really, this is in no way a flame.

umm tru good point.. I changed the truck A to carry 20lbs not 10lbs so it would make up for the.

well i didn't see that posted :(. Just getting sick of seeing them all the time :D but hehe oh well i guess..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom