Core 2 Duo Overclocking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
im gonna start OCing mine tomm and let u know. have had it running diff stuff to get the dyes all settled in so I should have pics tomm. somehow this mobo doesn't seem to have a vcore option so looks like i'm stuck with stock vcore OCing!

also anyone know how the DDR2 1066MHz ram OCs? i see a few on NCIX and was wondering if that would just solve the OCing problem altogether. of course 2 gigs is running for about 600 CAD right now but if u have the moola why not?

Alrighty, how's everyone doing? Good? That's good to hear...lol anyway...

I just got my c2d system up and running. e6300, 2GB of G.Skill DDR2 533 , and DS3 mobo.

The RAM was on sale for $185 when I got it and I needed something cheap that still looked good to fit in my budget. I didn't intend on overclocking since it's fast at stock speeds, but I got bored tonight and I think I caught the overclocking bug :) I dont want to go crazy here and would prefer to stay with stock cooling for now, but will the RAM hold me back?

Now time for some noob questions.. I want to get the F5 version of the bios and I have it downloaded, do I simply just run the downloaded file and it will do everything it's supposed to? I would rather be safe and ask than be sorry. Also, how are you guys overclocking? I'm assuming bios, but is the easy tune software any good or worthless? Earlier tonight I went in and clocked it up to 2.142ghz and while it was getting it to that setting, my screen went black and my music started repeating, so I turned it off, and when I brought the program back up my comp stayed at 2.142ghz and it dropped my super pi score from 31 to 26, woohoo! :) It was kind of scary when it locked up and the screen went black though :confused: so I would rather not do that again!

Any tips, hints, pointers for my current setup are welcome and I'll be very thankful!

don't use any programs to OC ur cpu. it's the most sensitive part of ur computer so OC at the machine level (BIOS) just to be safe. there should also be a tutorial on how install ur new bios version on the mobo manufacturer's site. i have had installations that almost killed me and others that there were 2-3 steps to and done. most of mine i've done through floppy/cd before ur comp loads the MBR

will the RAM hold me back?
Most likely, yes, it will.

Let's say your e6300 can do 2.8 at ~ 1.4 vcore or less, which is very common. Settings would be 400X7. Since there are no downward memory dividers on 965 chipset boards, your RAM will have to be capable of DDR2-800 speeds to be able to keep up. It may be great OC'ing RAM, I don't know, have never used them, but that's a hefty OC for DDR2-533 RAM.

want to get the F5 version of the bios and I have it downloaded, do I simply just run the downloaded file and it will do everything it's supposed to?
The easiest way is to use the @BIOS program that comes on the Gigabyte install CD. It is a GUI program that runs in Windows. After you download the BIOS file, open up the @BIOS program, select the BIOS file you downloaded and it will flash it. Note: When you download the BIOS, you may have 3 files, the BIOS file will be the one that ends in something like .f5.

When using a Windows program to flash the BIOS, flash at stock speeds, NOT OC'D.

I'm assuming bios, but is the easy tune software any good or worthless?
Stick to the BIOS. Something like Easytunes can be useful to squeeze a couple extra Hz for a bench or something, but is not useful to get to a 24/7 OC, and it also has a higher risk of corrupting Windows.

Ok, I got my BIOS to F5 and changed the BUS to 333 for starters.

c2doverclock.jpg

I didnt change my voltage at all, it just decided to go up with the BUS I guess. I want to post this and get some opinions to see if I should go any higher. I dont know much about RAM timings, but they look a little funky :confused: What do you guys use to measure your temps under load? The Easy tune software shows 49ºidle and with double prime going, 57-60º, are these accurate readings would you say?

Well, that was weird, I went to restart my computer and it didnt post, so now everything is back to stock.... it wasn't set that high I didnt think, anyone have an idea why it did this?

Hi everyone,

Question regarding OCing E6300 and E6400

Since the E6400 comes stock at a higher clock speed about 300mhz, is it "easier" to OC the E6400 to 3.0ghz than the E6300 who comes less stock ?? 1.8 vs 2.1 basically...and I mean easier meaning I don't have to go aftermarket cooling or do both cpu which are basically the same capable of the same amount of OC clock speed regardless of the stock clock speed ? I hope that makes sense. Just wondering if its worth the extra 40-50 bucks...
If the E6400 have less restraint to reach 3.0ghz, I think its worth it, but not to sure myself...need your thoughts

Thanks for your inputs!!

continu said:
Hi everyone,

Question regarding OCing E6300 and E6400

Since the E6400 comes stock at a higher clock speed about 300mhz, is it "easier" to OC the E6400 to 3.0ghz than the E6300 who comes less stock ?? 1.8 vs 2.1 basically...and I mean easier meaning I don't have to go aftermarket cooling or do both cpu which are basically the same capable of the same amount of OC clock speed regardless of the stock clock speed ? I hope that makes sense. Just wondering if its worth the extra 40-50 bucks...
If the E6400 have less restraint to reach 3.0ghz, I think its worth it, but not to sure myself...need your thoughts

Thanks for your inputs!!

The E6400 is easier to get to 3ghz. It also has a higher multiplier.

Kingaustin thanks!! I think I'll go E6400 now...

One last question, I'll be also getting the giga DS3 mobo, are OCZ PC6400 DDR2/800 Platinum series a good ram to go with the mobo? are they compatiable ?? I'm asking since I've seen ppl go with the g.skills ram on this mobo....there is a killer deal for 2x1gig OCZ for 150.00 after rebate, the offer ends this tuesday,(12th)....if it were, I was gonna go pick one up right now. lol.

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom