Can I make a backup my current Windows XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like everone is making this topic rather confusing.

Why dont you just boot up with the Windows XP CD and then install Windows XP on drive D.

Once Windows XP is installed on drive D copy all of your data files from drive C onto drive D.

Thats it your done.

If you want you could even format drive C after your done so that you have a fresh clean drive where you can install other files.

ElBurro said:
It sounds like what you want to do is make a image of your xp install not a backup. With a image you can just reload the image and off you go. With a backup you can restore files and folders and such but you can't just restore all of XP that way. There are several products out there but if you want my opinion it's not neccasary if you have the XP cd since you can reinstall from there anytime.
Now if you want to restore certain files that are corrupt there are several things you can do. First you can boot up using the XP cd and instead of installing you can use the "repair" option. But I wouldn't reccomend it. I have tried this many times and invariable windows becomes extremly unstable. The other 2 ways simply involve copying and pasting the files from the CD to your HD. You can either do this from withing the gui or when you bootup press F8 and choose the option to boot up to a command prompt and copy it from there

Oh, thanks for your explanation there.
Yes, I should say I want to make an image of my OS, but a copy.
Sorry for my wrong word!

kwokwai said:
Oh, thanks for your explanation there.
Yes, I should say I want to make an image of my OS, but a copy.
Sorry for my wrong word!

sorry for trying to help I was a real jerk for doing that

ElBurro said:
sorry for trying to help I was a real jerk for doing that

I don't think he was being an arse to you, so why you do have to be? Obviously he doesn't have the best english ever, but you can still understand what he was trying to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom