New computer - same XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmacben

Solid State Member
I'm about to build a new computer and was wondering if it would be possible to take XP Pro off of the computer I currently have and put it on the new one, without having to shell out another 100 bucks for the same program.

I don't have a single recovery disk or anything like that; is it possible to do this? I know hardware changes from the new computer would probably make it nessessary to reformat windows, but could I buy a recovery cd online and use that? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Unless you have a Corporate XP disc, then you have to buy a new serial number or both serial and disc, because Microsoft sells it's operating system for $80 per PC.

I know, it's silly.

not necessairly. there is a file somewhere that if you copy it, and go to a diff pc, and put that file there, it will be cool, but i think that only works if ur usin the same hardware. ill do some reasearch, but i might not come back, TF is screwin up for me, wont tell me when peeps have posted to threads.

I dont see a problem with doing this? You are simply moving one license from one machine to another...when it comes time to activate if you run into problems simpyl call the number and they will give you a new serial no problem...usually you dont even have to talk to anyone.

Or am I not understanding here? Do you A) Want to kill XP on your current computer as in format your current computer and it will no longer have an OS, you will take the XP CD and install this onto a new hard drive on the new computer?or B) Physically take your hard drive out of your current computer and put that hard drive into the new computer expecting it to boot? If the answer is B then yes it is still legal, but dont expect it to boot. You shouldnt have to reformat, but for sure you would want to run a repair on the OS to detect all the new hardware and such.

It sounds to me like he literally wants to move the operating system files to another computer without installation, having no CD's with which to install even the same copy.

I know that it can be done with older versions of Windows to some degree, but even then it's not a good idea. You would have to transfer the hard drive, and the operating system would essentially see every component of the computer as a new system requiring a new driver, which makes for a very bad Windows build. If you're building a new system, do it right- with a clean install. There's a good chance it's not even possible, I've heard that the motherboard is integrated with the windows installation to such an extent that it can't be changed, but I've never verified the claim. I would also assume the processor architecture needs to be the same, but it probably is.

To summarize: don't.

Casalen said:
It sounds to me like he literally wants to move the operating system files to another computer without installation, having no CD's with which to install even the same copy.

that is what hes saying and no it is not possible because the HAL is different and you would need to preform a repair on the os to fix that and since you dont have a cd you cant do that.

Could I buy a repair cd on eBay or does it need the specific disk that it was originally installed from?

You can use any XP disc, but it has to be two things:

Your own license key and the same version of disc that your license key is for (IE Home, Pro, or Media)

talldude123 said:
You can use any XP disc, but it has to be two things:

Your own license key and the same version of disc that your license key is for (IE Home, Pro, or Media)

yup. you can use any cd so long as its the same version you have. and you still have a valid key which should be posted with a sticker some where on you computer.

It is probably going to be preety hard to move the OS from one machine to another. I have tried it with no success. The only way I think it can be done is if it's the same hardware on both PCs. Have you considered using a linux distro? I don't know what you want to use your PC for but linux can handle everything almost everthing windows can without much fuss. The best part is it's completly free. My personal favourite distro is Suse but a lot of them are good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom