open computer case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

faek

Baseband Member
heya,

I built my rig about month ago, was about to close the case up, then thought... maybe not? I'm just wondering how necessary closing up all those hot little parts is? Currently, AMD 4200 X2 keeps around 32-37°C + ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe avg 41°C. All that's removed is the side panel which is patiently waiting instruction.

My thoughts are just theories, so I was hoping some guys could enlighten me with their knowledge on this topic. Also, my cooling system definitely isn't anything special: stock heatsink/fan, two rear fans, one front. Thanks

Dust and how it looks.

But if you keep the case fan running properly, in the right direction, everything will be fine.

yea, as long as you are prepared to clean out dust a bit more often than normal, you should be fine.

the other thing to remember is that the components are less protected from small kids, spilt coffee, etc etc.

The air isn't directed anywhere when the sidepanel is off. The air just kind of flows where it wants to.

With the sidepanel on, and a few well positioned fans, the air will be forced only one way, thus cooling more efficiently. Fresh air will come in, blow across the parts, and exit the rear/top.

CrazeD said:
The air isn't directed anywhere when the sidepanel is off. The air just kind of flows where it wants to.

With the sidepanel on, and a few well positioned fans, the air will be forced only one way, thus cooling more efficiently. Fresh air will come in, blow across the parts, and exit the rear/top.

I agree, when you take the side panels off it destroys the natural air flow, if you even have any...Unless your computer is really overheating I wouldn't take the case off.

CrazeD said:

I know internally, the air will have better flow w/ the panel on, but still hypothesized that the heat would be greater than if I just removed it alltogether. The fans are still useful and and help cool, but as you said, don't create a stream of air across the parts. But I still think more heat is expelled w/o the panel and therefore the need for the wind current is less needed. Plus, I have a minifan for a desk that I could sit angled right infont of it, if things got a bit spicy. That'd be some nice assistance..

Also, my computer looks nicely aesthetic as it is with the case open, which is why I'd like to have it off. I'm not toooo concerned about the dust.. of corse I'd rather not have more of it, but I tend to dust it out way more with the panel open anyways. Heh, I like dusting my pc as it is and when everythings all ready to go, I do it all the time [but not too much]. Thanks for helping out

Be careful with that desk fan, it may create a magnetic shield large enough to disturb the HDD, and you'll have data corruption if that happens.

If it's pretty small then it should be alright though...but I'm just giving you a heads up.

CrazeD said:
Be careful with that desk fan, it may create a magnetic shield large enough to disturb the HDD, and you'll have data corruption if that happens.

If it's pretty small then it should be alright though...but I'm just giving you a heads up.

right on

I'm fortonately aware of this and have always had the currently unused, small fan a good two feet at least from the computer/HDD. Electromagnets can get cha'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom