New AMD Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanp0286

Baseband Member
This is the computer I'm fixing to be building for my girlfriend. The main reason she wants it is because it has a pink case, she doesn't do any gaming, which is why I went with on-board graphics. Right now we are both using the computer in my signature, so it'll be a nice upgrade for her.

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=3133054

Breakdown:

Case - Raidmax Pink Case
MOBO - EPoX EP-9GF6100-M Socket 939 Geforce 6100
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 2.4GHz
RAM - Corsair 512 (256x2) Dual Channel Kit
HDD - Western Digital Caviar SE 250GB
DVD - Lite-On CD/DVD Burner w/Lightscribe

I had an ASRock MOBO picked out, but NewEgg doesn't have it listed anymore.

Comments???? Suggestions??? I'm going to be ordering this probably Wednesday.

ya even in windows and progrmas like photoshop or video editing, 1 gig of ram would be beneficial.

Did you think of going AM2? or did you want to stick with 939 becuase of the slightly cheaper RAM?

seems alright, 512MB is sufficent for many applications, adding extra 512 wont bring any noticible difference, unless you are video editing or using animation software.

lancec2c30 said:
Did you think of going AM2? or did you want to stick with 939 becuase of the slightly cheaper RAM?

I'm going with AM2 when I build my computer closer to Christmas... I wanted to keep this computer priced around $600 while still using quality products. Whenever I build my computer I'm also going to update hers with more RAM and a decent video card for when she edits videos and pictures (we have a 9 month old little girl, so my girlfriend takes lots of pics and videos)

The processor I have picked out is 2.4GHz w/ 512KB cache.... Would it be better to go with the 3700+? It is 2.2GHz, but it has 1MB cache.

bryanp0286 said:
The processor I have picked out is 2.4GHz w/ 512KB cache.... Would it be better to go with the 3700+? It is 2.2GHz, but it has 1MB cache.

I would go with the 3700, losing 200MHz is worth double the L2 cache. You can always overclock the 3700 to 3800 speeds, but you won't be able to add 512 to the L2.

My question is, what cable to I get to hook it to the MOBO? I did a search on NewEgg and found a Serial ATA 150 cable and SATA II cable, which one is right for my HDD and what length should I get?

Don't worry about buying extra SATA cables, the motherboard will come with at least two SATA data and two SATA power adapters, so you can eliminate those from the cost. I know they're cheap, about $2-3 each, but when you include shipping, it'll save you $10 for both items, plus another $5 for the items themselves. Unless you'd prefer the SATA cable you selected because of the way it looks, don't worry about it. Also, you don't even need to use the power adapters, as the power supply that I believe you'll be using, the one that compes with the case, already has a SATA power cable.

I'd suggest using a gig of ram and a SATA hard drive, but other than that, it looks like you're set. Venice is just fine, as far as architectures go, so if you wanted to save a little money, you might as well get a 3500+ instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom