Fat32, Ntfs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogerio

In Runtime
Can anyone tell what is the best format? I run FAT32, winXP but i have this partition magic and i can change for NTFS...i dont know if this change will make any changes for good for me.

I notice that my windows messenger live cant share files anymore, before my windows was in NTFS and i change for no reason, i think that is the error.

Please, can anyone tell me more about this FAT32 and NTFS and which one is the best

Thank you

NTFS is by far the best it allows file encryption as well as advanced file permissions which im sure you havent realized but those features will be disabled for you in xp because of the file system you formatted in i would suggest switching to NTFS and that messenger error very well could be related to file permissions that fat32 doesnt support.

Both are good. NTFS is better, but you only need it if you are working with files bigger than 4GB or if you use any of its features.
Converting can be risky, so make sure to make backups before converting your file system.

NTFS is better for dozens of reasons, including far better stability, much better effeciency i.e. less disk space is used up in the filesystem, security - file level security, permissions, encryption

The only reason to use FAT32 is for backwards compatability with older OSs e.g. Win98 or DOS.

MrCoffee said:
NTFS is better for dozens of reasons, including far better stability, much better effeciency i.e. less disk space is used up in the filesystem, security - file level security, permissions, encryption

The only reason to use FAT32 is for backwards compatability with older OSs e.g. Win98 or DOS.

exactly fat32 stopped being used after 98. If you do have a 98 or older machine it will not be able to read NTFS but that is the only problem. Do yourself a favor and go NTFS

converting to ntfs in windows (convert.exe) is not risky

I have done it dozens of times with no problems

You want to use NTFS, dont use Part magic, just use the windows file.

bilbus said:
converting to ntfs in windows (convert.exe) is not risky

I have done it dozens of times with no problems

You want to use NTFS, dont use Part magic, just use the windows file.

uhhh ... NO!!!
partition magic is much better use it.

thank you...i like at lot every reply...
I dont know if i survive without you guys...

Thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom