SCSI Array

Status
Not open for further replies.

objecterror

Daemon Poster
I need a dumbed down general idea of an SCSI array, why one would use it and what some of the towers may look like. can anyone help me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCSI

Mostly found In company/Industry enviroments.
Why to use it? Increased speeds, more drives can be connected, more reliable then EIDE/SATA and the 15KRPM is also a plus.

A Tower is a tower.. Not that difficult to imagine.

Why do you want to know, got some cash to burn?

Yeah, actually, it's not a matter about money as involved, aside from external drives, i wanted to know how it would benefit me as opposed to using a server.

So, where do i get started after wiki?

Im sorry I don't understand. What is your definition of a server?

It depends on what you want to do......

Its all a matter of costs, like I said depending on want you want to do SCSI Drives may or may not be a good idea.

But I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. So please tell.

What i want to do in full detail
Not any time soon, this is probably going to be a long term project, but a friend of mine has an SCSI array as she calls it, in the array she has about 3 terabytes of space. She has sent me to the wiki site before, and i want to know, with SCSI may i bridge/connect my current computer tower to it, and once connected, use the SCSI array as a storage bin for files on my parents network. This of course would take some time and patience. I'am not looking for a pre-made network storage drive, cause i want the ability to learn more from the programs i would have to use with it, in order to benefit from the large amount of space and speed of each drive.

another possibility would be to physically build it, and learn about it from personal experiance. it seems thats the best way i learn about computers, taking the time and putting them together. i believe my friend uses Fedora to run her array, but i'am not to educated on the motherboard she uses. She also uses a IBM tower etc.

that is what i would want to do, build it to learn how it works and how to use it. then, use it to the best of my ability and possibly start a server.

my idea of a server would be that, an online bridge to host a website or number of domains on the hard drives for online browsing. either that or for a network storage drive as mentioned before. if i'am dreaming, please let me know, cause i may be wanting a bit more then i can actually handle.

my suggestion is to do what i did, try and pick up an OLD server chassis and computer. i got mine for $41 au, it basically looks like two towers welded together side by side. on the left it has the motherboard and processors, SCSI cards etc and the right hand half is a jumble of cables, a huge power supply and 7 hot swap bays. if you can pickup something like that and install windows on it, then share all it's storage you'll probably have all you need.

however it probably would be overkill, it is a possibility. if you were to use say 7x400gb drives you would be well on your way to 3TB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom