Can I make a backup my current Windows XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwokwai

In Runtime
My PC has two partitions: Drive C, and D.
Drive C is for Windows XP and is allocated with only 10GB.

I have 30GB space left in Drive D, and I want to make a copy of the all data in Drive C to Drive D, so that I can simply replace the data in Drive C from Drive D directly without the need to reinstall Windows XP in case some Windows system files were found to be damaged.

I have no ideas if I can really do a backup of my Drive C by using the method I've just mentioned above?

Please advise!

mm.. I didn't really get what you said but this is what I think you were saying..

1. move data files from drive c: to d:
2. reinstall windows on drive c:
3. move back data from d:?

For backing up and restoring [moving and returning], you can use genie backup manager, you can get a free 15 day trial which is enough.
Sorry if I couldn't help as much but if you could explain it to me again or something

Willeh said:
mm.. I didn't really get what you said but this is what I think you were saying..

1. move data files from drive c: to d:
2. reinstall windows on drive c:
3. move back data from d:?

For backing up and restoring [moving and returning], you can use genie backup manager, you can get a free 15 day trial which is enough.
Sorry if I couldn't help as much but if you could explain it to me again or something

Yes, that's exactly what I meant!

oh right lol.. okay well for one you can download genie backup manager free trial, it's a 15 day trial so that should work, it contains various animated help files so you should have no problems with it.

I hope you should know how to reinstall windows, if not, then pop in your win xp cd, go into bios and set first boot device to be your CD / dvd rom or whatever ROM you've put the CD in, once in the windows xp setup, just follow the onscreen instructions, you may need to reformat and all that stuff.
Good luck

Willeh said:
oh right lol.. okay well for one you can download genie backup manager free trial, it's a 15 day trial so that should work, it contains various animated help files so you should have no problems with it.

I hope you should know how to reinstall windows, if not, then pop in your win xp cd, go into bios and set first boot device to be your CD / dvd rom or whatever ROM you've put the CD in, once in the windows xp setup, just follow the onscreen instructions, you may need to reformat and all that stuff.
Good luck

I have reinstalled my winXP now, and everything gets to work.
But the reinstallation task was not easy for me; so
I am thinking if I can copy the current healthy windows XP to another partition so that next time if the Windows XP really gets corrupted, I can simply copy that healthy windows back and replace the corrupted Windows XP to make everything works again.

Do you think if I can do it without pain?

Never tried that so can't really help there. I think there was an easier way for you to fix corrupt files by popping in your windows CD with all the windows files, going into run ---> cmd ---> sfc /scannow
The scan will scan all the system files to see if they're all working and whatnot, it's worked for me so whenever you have a corrupt file or something just try this scan out. Sorry but that method just came into my head lol=/

Willeh said:
The scan will scan all the system files to see if they're all working and whatnot, it's worked for me so whenever you have a corrupt file or something just try this scan out. Sorry but that method just came into my head lol=/

So what to do next if the Scan showed me there was a non-working file found.
How to replace this corrupted file from the windows CD?

It sounds like what you want to do is make a image of your xp install not a backup. With a image you can just reload the image and off you go. With a backup you can restore files and folders and such but you can't just restore all of XP that way. There are several products out there but if you want my opinion it's not neccasary if you have the XP cd since you can reinstall from there anytime.
Now if you want to restore certain files that are corrupt there are several things you can do. First you can boot up using the XP cd and instead of installing you can use the "repair" option. But I wouldn't reccomend it. I have tried this many times and invariable windows becomes extremly unstable. The other 2 ways simply involve copying and pasting the files from the CD to your HD. You can either do this from withing the gui or when you bootup press F8 and choose the option to boot up to a command prompt and copy it from there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom