question for everybody

Status
Not open for further replies.

goc305

Solid State Member
so lets say i have just purchased my computer, but want to build one next time around, what is gonna be hot?
1. 1000w power supply?
2. multi-core processor?
3. type of video card?

is there any way to forecast what is gonna happen?

discuss:)

1) not sure, but apprently the DX10 cards may require some serious power.
2) Dual Cores are Hot right this second, could be quad core's i believe and i had a friend say something about reverse hyperthreading.
3) For video cards DX10 will be what is gonna be hot when they do decide to surface, if the picture ive seen for the comparison is real, then wow, that are really gonna be something

awesome answer, but isnt power consumption coming down with the core 2 duo, what isnt to say that will happen with video cards? signing off. g

What is going to be hot? As in temperature wise?

It all depends on your cooling system.

I'm still thinking of getting this huge heat sink for my cpu. ^^

well, theoritically the smaller wafer fabrication should have brought down the heat signature anyway, but at the same time implementing faster clocks remains the issue, therefore heat is cooled down to some extent on processors by lowering the wafer fabrication to 65 or below, at the same time they are reaching higher clock speeds, but still are being air cooled. so you cannot predict the future in responce to that as they'll be needing more PSU (again theoriticaly not). as goals are towards getting work done in less time, which not necesarily needs faster clock speeds, quad-core processors and software suporting quad core cpu's can get the work done in twice less as you have it now.

I heard the DX10 cards are going to be power hogs, consuming between 130W-300W.

Um heatwise? Well i hear the new Intel Core Duo 2 chips are 40% more efficient and therefore cooler. The lower end Duo 2's Ie E6300 and E6400 are smaller than their bigger brothers and are much cooler...

But if you are talking as in "Whats gonna be good" i wouldn't buy the new DX 10 cards for awhile. The first batch will be expensive and won't fully harness the power of DX 10. Also you can only use them with vista which means you need to buy a expensive OS. Multi-core processors are in high demand these days and Intel's new 4 core is coming out sometime in november closely followed by AMD's 4x4.

So i have kinda answered both questions :S although i believe what you meant was tempreture wise but oh well.

just curious really. it sounds as though, the hardware is here or close(quad cores, dx10, etc.), the software applications are still a ways off before they will fully utilize these capabilities...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom