Video & Sound drivers not reloading properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DraftHorsePower

Solid State Member
ok stupid question i'm sure. I'm reloading windows (Me) on a friends Gateway Solo 5300 laptop after it died, and it loaded up ok everywhere else, but the screen is grainy, and there is no sound... i have the restore discs, and have tried reinstalling the drivers that route, but to no avail. Also tried downloading the drivers on my comp and transferring them over to her's and that wont work either. Am i forgetting a vital part of driver reload? I haven't done this in years.

help appriciated! thanks! :)

so you downloaded the drivers onto a disk and then put the disk in the drive. did you then go to the add new hardware and search for new hardware? If so, did it detect the hardware?

If you go into device mangler, do you see the hardware? does it have a '?' or a '!' by it? If so, reinstall the drivers and point the driver location to your CD rom / floppy (wherever they are located)

just remove windows ME, if we all do this we n=might be able to irracdicate it for the good of mankind. like smallpox

oops forgot to say that yes, it did detect the hardware.... maybe i have some settings wrong somewhere? All the display settings look fine, and i have tried switching them... but the screen is still grainy. Not as bad as it would look in safe mode, but not smooth like it was before the reload.

ok i got the display working just fine... now... when i try to reinstall the sound driver it says:

"The driver software you have chosen to install may not have been tested by Microsoft to verify that it works properly with Windows Millenium Edition, to maintain the reliability of your system, the following driver will not be installed. ESS Maestro PCI Audio (WDM)"

what the hell is that supposed to mean, i got the the thing off the restore disk, even tried downloading the driver off of the gateway site and trying that... still gives me the same message.

bah. :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom