How can I find my xp cd key???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
Is there a way to get the code after starting a repair install?

I know how to find it in windows but the problem is I had to do a repair install on somebodies computer. Now I didn't relise that the code on the computer was for WinME and not XP:confused: I can't get ahold of the owner until Monday and wanted to have it done by then.

The code thats on there is for ME. Which I assume is what came with the computer. I need one for XP though.

Yeah I could but nothing worked. All of the associations were messed up. So I started a repair install to fix it. Problem is now its asking for a cd key and I don't have it.

I need to know if the key would still be on the computer and if theres a way to retrieve it???

it's normally hidden in the registry. At this point, I doubt it's there anymore. If you have another PC, you might try getting a linux live cd (**** small linux, Knoppix, ubuntu, etc) to boot your dead PC up and look around a little bit.

Sorry, am assuming at this point he can't boot into windows anymore. if he can, then rockxp should work easy enough.

I have RockXP but can it be booted from a floppy or something. I can't get into windows anymore. And I couldn't get the code from inside of windows before the repair because nothing would open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom